Monson, New HampshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Monson is a now extinct town, that was incorporated April 1, 1746, and which was comprised of the northwest part of the old Dunstable grant. It was in existance until July of 1770 when, by request of the inhabitants, it was annexed into Amherst, and Hollis.
In 1761 the town petitioned to become part of Hollis, siting that much of the town had very poor soil, and that they were having difficulty establishing a church. In 1770 the north side of the town requested annexation into Amherst, while the south side desired to become part of Hollis. An unsuccessful attempt to reestablish the original town was made in 1782, but failed.
A list of the original settlers, and some ot the town meetings which were held, can be found in Docuemtns Relating to Towns in New Hampshire.
A history of Monson and its relationship with the town of Hollis can be found in The History of the Town of Hollis. The former town of Monson is now situated in the towns of Amherst, Hollis and Milford.
1. Isaac W. Hammond, Provincial and State Papers, Vol. 12, Docuemnts Relating to Towns in New Hampshire,Concord, N. H: Parsons B. Cogswell, State Pringer 1883, pages 609-616.
2. Samuel T. Worcester, History of the Town of Hollis New Hampshire, From its First Settlement to the Year 1890, Boston: A Williams & Co., 285 Washingtn Street 1879, beginning page 88.
- This page was last modified on 9 July 2014, at 21:31.
- This page has been accessed 209 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page