Montana, Judith Basin County Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Montana, Judith Basin County Records, 1887-2012 .
This collection contains birth, death, marriage, naturalization and probate records from the county clerk's/recorder's and clerk of court offices in Stanford. It covers the years 1910 to 1945.
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Montana, Judith Basin County Records, 1887-2012.|
Key genealogical facts found in this collection may include:
- Name of the primary individual
- Event date
- Event place
- Parents' names including mother's maiden name
- Parents' age, birth place and residence
- Names of heirs, such as spouse, children, other relatives, or friends
- Name of the executor, administrator, or guardian
- Names of witnesses
- Dates the documents were written and recorded (used to approximate event dates since a will was usually written near the time of death)
- Description and value of personal property or land owned by the deceased
- Address or residence
How to Use the Record
To begin your search it is helpful to know the following:
- Type of event
- Approximate date of event
Search the Collection
To search the collection by name fill in your ancestor’s name in the initial search page. This search will return a list of possible matches. Compare the information about those in the list to what you already know about your own ancestors to determine if this is the correct family or person.
If you did not find the person you were looking for, you may need to search the collection by image.
⇒Select "Browse through images" on the initial collection page
⇒Select the "Record" category
⇒Select the “Record Type, Record Description, Year Range" category which takes you to the images
Look at each image comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine if the image relates to them. You may need to look at several images and compare the information about the individuals listed in those images to your ancestors to make this determination.
With either search keep in mind:
- There may be more than one person in the records with the same name.
- You may not be sure of your own ancestor’s name.
- Your ancestor may have used different names or variations of their name throughout their life.
For tips about searching on-line collections see the on-line article [FamilySearch Tips and Tricks].
Using the Information
When you have located your ancestor’s record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. Save a copy of the image or transcribe the information. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details such as a title, an occupation, or land ownership. Add this new information to your records of each family. You should also look for leads to other records about your ancestors. For example:
- Use the names and places to search for church and census records.
- If an age is listed, use it to determine an approximate birth date.
- Use the naturalization information to help you locate immigration records such as a passenger lists which would usually be kept records at the port of entry into the United States.
Tips to Keep in Mind
- It may helpful to extract information on all individuals with the same surname within each record type. These individuals may be family members of your ancestor. Try to arrange these individuals into family groups.
- The witnesses named in the records may have been relatives of the primary person in the record. You should also search for them in the records.
- Birth places can tell you former residences and can help to establish a migration pattern for the family.
Unable to Find Your Ancestor?
- Look for variant spellings of the names. You should also look for alias names, nicknames and abbreviated names.
- Look for another index. There are often indexes at the beginning of each volume. Local genealogical and historical societies often have indexes to local records.
- Search the indexes and records of nearby counties.
- Try alternative search methods such as only filling in the surname search box (or the given name search box) on the landing page leaving the other box empty and then click on search. This should return a list of everyone with that particular name. You could then browse the list for individuals that may be your ancestor.
|Don't overlook FHL Keyword Montana, Judith Basin items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see the wiki article Montana Archives and Libraries. For additional information about this county see the wiki article Judith Basin County, Montana.|
Related Wiki Articles
How You Can Contribute
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citations for This Collection
When you copy information from a record, you should list where you found the information; that is, cite your sources. This will help people find the record again and evaluate the reliability of the source. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records. Citations are available for the collection as a whole and each record or image individually.
- “Montana, Judith Basin County Records, 1887-2012.” Database with Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2015. Citing County Clerk. Judith Basin County Courthouse, Judith Basin, Montana.
Record Citation (or citation for the index entry):
|The citation for a record is available with each record in this collection, at the bottom of the record screen. You can search records in this collection by visiting the search page for Montana, Judith Basin County Records, 1887-2012.|
|The citation for an image is available on each image in this collection by clicking Show Citation at the bottom left of the image screen. You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Montana, Judith Basin County Records, 1887-2012.|
- This page was last modified on 7 August 2015, at 19:14.
- This page has been accessed 1,846 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News