Montana, Teton County Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Montana, Teton County Records, 1881-2012 .
This collection will include records from 1893-1950. This collection includes images of vital records, naturalization index, land index and probate records from the clerk of court, clerk and recorder offices in Choteau. This collection is being published as images become available.
The records may contain any of the following pieces of information:
- Individual names
- Birth dates and places
- Death dates and places
- Marriage dates and places
How to Use the Record
To begin your search it is helpful to know the following:
- Type of event
- Approximate date of event
Search the Collection
To search the collection:
⇒ Select "Browse through images" on the initial collection page
⇒ Select the "Record Category"
⇒ Select the "Record Type, Record Description, and Year Range" category which takes you to the images.
Look at the images one by one comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine which one is your ancestor. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to make this determination. Keep in mind:
- There may be more than one person in the records with the same name.
- You may not be sure of your own ancestor’s name.
- Your ancestor may have used different names or variations of the name throughout his or her life.
Using the Information
When you have located your ancestor’s record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. Save a copy of the image or transcribe the information. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details such as a title, an occupation, or land ownership. Add this new information to your records of each family. You should also look for leads to other records about your ancestors. For example:
- Use the names and places to search for church and census records.
- If an age is listed, use it to determine an approximate birth date.
- Use the naturalization information to help you locate immigration records such as a passenger lists which would usually be kept records at the port of entry into the United States.
Tips to Keep in Mind
- It may helpful to extract information on all individuals with the same surname within each record type. These individuals may be family members of your ancestor. Try to arrange these individuals into family groups.
- The witnesses named in the records may have been relatives of the primary person in the record. You should also search for them in the records.
- Birth places can tell you former residences and can help to establish a migration pattern for the family.
Unable to Find Your Ancestor?
- Look for variant spellings of the surnames.
- Look for an index. There are often indexes at the beginning of each volume. Local genealogical and historical societies often have indexes to local records.
- Search the indexes and records of nearby counties.
|Don't overlook FHL Keyword Montana, Teton items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see the wiki article Montana Archives and Libraries. For additional information about this county see the wiki article Teton County, Montana.|
- Teton County, Montana Genealogy
- Montana Genealogical Resources
- Teton County, Montana Genealogy
- Teton County, Montana Genealogy Trails
- Genealogical Research in Teton County, Montana
Related Wiki Articles
- Montana Land and Property
- Montana Naturalization and Citizenship
- Montana Probate Records
- Montana Vital Records
Contributions to This Article
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. Guidelines are available to help you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide. If you would like to get more involved join the WikiProject FamilySearch Records.|
Citation for This Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the information published in FamilySearch.org Historical Record collections. Sources include the author, custodian, publisher, and archive for the original records.
- “Montana, Teton County Records, 1881-2012” Images. FamilySearch http://FamilySearch.org accessed : 2013
- “Montana, Teton County Records, 1881-2012.” Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2013. Citing Clerk of Court. Teton County Courthouse, Choteau, Montana.
- This page was last modified on 25 August 2014, at 22:15.
- This page has been accessed 919 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page