Montana, Toole County Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Montana, Toole County Records, 1913-1960 .
The collection consists of probate, naturalization and marriage records from the county courthouse in Shelby. It includes records from 1913 to 1945. This collection is being published as images become available.
Key genealogical facts found in this collection may include:
- Name of the primary individual
- Event date
- Event place
- Parents' names including mother's maiden name
- Parents' age, birth place and residence
- Names of heirs, such as spouse, children, other relatives, or friends
- Name of the executor, administrator, or guardian
- Names of witnesses
- Dates the documents were written and recorded (used to approximate event dates since a will was usually written near the time of death)
- Description and value of personal property or land owned by the deceased
- Address or residence
How to Use the Record
To begin your search it is helpful to know the following:
- Type of event
- Approximate date of event
Search the Collection
To search the collection:
⇒Select "Browse through images" on the initial collection page
⇒Select the appropriate "Record Category"
⇒Select the appropriate "Record Type, Record Description, and Year Range" which takes you to the images.
Look at the images one by one comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine if the image relates to them. You may need to look at several images and compare the information about the individuals listed in those images to your ancestors to make this determination. Keep in mind:
- There may be more than one person in the records with the same name.
- You may not be sure of your own ancestor’s name.
- Your ancestor may have used different names or variations of their name throughout their life.
Using the Information
When you have located your ancestor’s record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. Save a copy of the image or transcribe the information. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details such as a title, an occupation, or land ownership. Add this new information to your records of each family. You should also look for leads to other records about your ancestors. For example:
- Use the names and places to search for church and census records.
- If an age is listed, use it to determine an approximate birth date.
- Use the naturalization information to help you locate immigration records such as a passenger lists which would usually be kept records at the port of entry into the United States.
Tips to Keep in Mind
- It may helpful to extract information on all individuals with the same surname within each record type. These individuals may be family members of your ancestor. Try to arrange these inidviduals into family groups.
- The witnesses named in the records may have been relatives of the primary person in the record. You should also search for them in the records.
- Birth places can tell you former residences and can help to establish a migration pattern for the family.
Unable to Find Your Ancestor?
- Look for variant spellings of the surnames.
- Look for an index. There are often indexes at the beginning of each volume. Local genealogical and historical societies often have indexes to local records.
- Search the indexes and records of nearby counties.
|Don't overlook FHL Keyword Montana, Toole items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see the wiki article Montana Archives and Libraries. For additional information about this county see the wiki article Toole County, Montana.|
- Toole County, Montana Free Public Records Directory
- Toole County Departments and Organizations
- Guide to Montana Court Records
- Archives - Montana Birth Records
- Archive - Montana Marriage Records
- Archive - Montana Death Records
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. Guidelines are available to help you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide. If you would like to get more involved join the WikiProject FamilySearch Records.|
Citation for This Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the information published in FamilySearch.org Historical Record collections. Sources include the author, custodian, publisher, and archive for the original records.
- “Montana, Toole County Records, 1913-1960.” Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2013. Citing County Clerk. Toole County Courthouse, Shelby, Montana.
- This page was last modified on 25 August 2014, at 22:16.
- This page has been accessed 811 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki