Montana Archives and LibrariesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The following archives, libraries, and societies have major collections or services helpful to Montana genealogical researchers.
Montana Historical Society
The Montana Historical Society houses both the Montana Historical Society Library and the Montana State Archives. The library collects printed and manuscript sources, including histories and reference materials. The archives primarily collects government documents.
Montana State Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 5313
120 South Last Chance Gulch
Helena, MT 59604
Telephone 406-447-1690 Ext9
The Montana Genealogical Society Library is part of the online Montana Shared Library.
17101 Huron Street
Broomfield, CO 80023
Internet: National Archives at Denver
University of Montana
32 Campus Drive
Missoula, MT 59812-9936
Montana State University
P.O. Box 173320
Bozeman, MT 59717-3320
To learn more about the history and record-keeping systems of Montana counties, use the 16 inventories of county archives produced by the Historical Records Survey around 1940. The Family History Library has copies of most of these inventories.
Montana Online Records
You can find computerized research tips and information about ancestors from Montana in a variety of sources at local, state, national, and international levels. The list of sources is growing rapidly. Most of the information is available at no cost.
Addresses on the Internet change frequently. The following sites are important gateways linking you to many more sites:
- USGenWeb (http://www.usgenweb.com/)
- A cooperative effort by many volunteers to list genealogical databases, libraries, bulletin boards, and other resources available on the Internet for each county, state, and country.
- Roots-L (http://www.rootsweb.com/roots-l/usa/)
- A useful list of sites and resources. Includes a large, regularly-updated research coordination list.
- FamilySearch™ (http://www.familysearch.org)
- FamilySearch is a collection of computer files containing several million names. FamilySearch is a good place to begin your research. Some of the records come from compiled sources; some have been automated from original sources.
- This page was last modified on 11 April 2013, at 01:41.
- This page has been accessed 2,234 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More