Montgomeryshire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Montgomeryshire (Welsh: Sir Drefaldwyn or Maldwyn) was one of thirteen historic counties of Wales. The county is bounded to the north by Denbighshire, to the east and south-east by Shropshire (England), to the south by Radnorshire, to the south-west by Cardiganshire and to the west and north-west by Merionethshire.
It took it's name from Roger de Montgomerie, 1st Earl of Shrewsbury, one of William the Conqueror's main counsellors,
The county was formed shortly after the Act of Union of 1535 of Wales and England. The borders of Montgomeryshire corresponded roughly to the medieval kingdom of Powys Wenwynwyn and its cantrefi (hundreds) included Cyfeiliog; Arwystli; Mawddwy; Mochnant; Deuddwy; Ystrad Marchell and Gorddwr, and also included the Lordships of Cydewain and Mechain.
Chapman Code: MGY
1974-1996 PowysPowys which covered the whole of east-central Wales.
- The North Wales BMD. A searchable index of births marriages and deaths within the county of Montgomeryshire from 1837 to around 1950.
- Montgomeryshire Resources and Help pages RootsChat Montgomeryshire Resources and Help pages. (Free).
- Parish: an area of varying size under the responsibility of a clergyman of the Church of England/Church in Wales
- Hundred: an administrative subdivision of a county, usually a group of two or more parishes
- Sub-district: comprised of more than one civil parish
- Registration District
- Poor Law Union
Did you know
- Owain Glyndŵr was crowned Prince of Wales in 1404 in Machynlleth, Montgomeryshire, before leaders from Scotland, France and Spain, and held his first Parliament in the town.
- Robert Owen, the social reformer, philanthropist and one of the founders of socialism and the cooperative movement, was born in Newtown, Montgomeryshire in 1771.
- This page was last modified on 3 February 2015, at 00:20.
- This page has been accessed 4,217 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News