Mundesley, NorfolkEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Mundesley, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Erpingham PLU|
|Parish registers: 1724|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1691|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norfolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
MUNDSLEY, or Mundesley, a village and a parish in Erpingham district, Norfolk. The village stands on the coast, 5 miles N N E of North Walsham, and 19½ N N W of Norwich. 
Mundesley All Saints is an Ancient parish in the diocese of Norwich. The church fell into ruin for over a hundred years until rebuilt in 1905 and extended in 1914. Although mentioned in the Domesday Book, nothing of the original church remains. Parts of the present building probably date from the 15th century. The church was in such a bad state in the 18th century that the two bells were sold to pay for the repairs. The work on the new church was mostly effected between 1904 and 1914 when a new chancel was built on the site of the old one
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Erpingham 1837-1938
- North Walsham 1939-1974
- The Register Office, 18 Kings Arms Street, North Walsham, NR28 9JX.
Tel/Fax: 01692 406220. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mundesley, Norfolk parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Mundesley, Norfolk Online Records|
This parish's registers do not appear on FamilySearch as no microfilm for the parish is held
A search of the FamilySearch Catalogue identifies the following Archdeacon's transcripts:
|Baptisms 1725-1812 Marriages and burials 1725-1811|| FHL BRITISH Film |
1526816 Item 13
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438854.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Norfolk: Mundesley on GenUKI
- Mudesley All Saints on A Church Near You
- for old and new images of the church and parish
- Mundesley on Literary Norfolk
- Mundesley on Norfolk Churches
- ↑ John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 26 February 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Norfolk, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 20 March 2014.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 11 February 2014.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Births Indexes: Guide to Parishes, n.d.; digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- This page was last modified on 15 November 2014, at 21:47.
- This page has been accessed 1,288 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More