Newfoundland and Labrador: Populated Places Table A-HEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
How Each Column Helps You With Your Research
1. POPULATED PLACE column: names the "populated place" or "location" of interest.
2. FORMER NAME, if applicable column: if the location was known by another name, it is listed here (a year of name change is given, if known).
3. TYPE column: gives type of location (i.e. village, town, city, etc.) - the size definition varies per province.
4. FHL CATALOG column: links to the "categories of sources" available in the Family History Library for this populated place or location.
5. WIKIPEDIA column: links to background information regarding this location or its county if Wikipedia does not have an article for that specific place.
- Canadian Geographical Names Data Base (CGNDB) - gives brief information about a place, including historic names/places. For historic information, scroll to #3, and click Formerly Official, also try with All.
- Google Maps - shows the whereabouts of places on a map.
- Google Images - shows pictures/photos/old maps (sometimes) of a place.
- WorldCat - shows sources (books, maps, etc.) at various libraries/repositories, etc. for a place.
- Listed below are the populated places in this district, according to the Gazetteer of Canada. Newfoundland = Répertoire géographique du Canada. Terre-Neuve. This gazetteer is used as the source of locations or populated places in the Family History Library Catalog for the Province of Newfoundland and Labrador.
- If you wish the current division, where your Populated Place now exists, check the Canadian Geographical Names Data Base listed above.
Populated Places Table
|FORMER NAME, if applicable||TYPE||
|Channel-Port aux Basques||Link||Link|
|Conception Bay South||Link||Link|
|ANY NEW LOCATIONS IN FHL CATALOG???||Link|
- ↑ Gazetteer of Canada. Newfoundland = Répertoire géographique du Canada. Terre-Neuve, (Ottawa, Ontario : Canada. Department of Energy, Mines and Resources. Surveys and Mapping Branch, c1983). FHL book 971.8 E5ca
- This page was last modified on 27 September 2014, at 19:34.
- This page has been accessed 780 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page