NUNAVUT: Populated Places TableEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
How Each Column Helps You With Your Research
1. POPULATED PLACE column: names the "populated place" or "location" of interest.
2. FORMER NAME, if applicable column: if the location was known by another name, it is listed here (a year of name change is given, if known).
3. TYPE column: gives type of location (i.e. village, town, city, etc.) - the size definition varies per province.
4. FHL CATALOG column: links to the "catagories of sources" available in the Family History Library for this populated place or location.
5.WIKIPEDIA column: links to background information regarding this location or its county if Wikipedia does not have an article for that specific place.
- Canadian Geographical Names Data Base (CGNDB) - gives brief information about a place, including historic names/places. For historic information, scroll to #3, and click Formerly Official, also try with All.
- Google Maps - shows the whereabouts of places on a map.
- Google Images - shows pictures/photos/old maps (sometimes) of a place.
- WorldCat - shows sources (books, maps, etc.) at various libraries/repositories, etc. for a place.
- Listed below are the populated places in this district, according to the Gazetteer of Canada. Northwest Territories and Yukon. This gazetteer is used as the source of locations or populated places in the Family History Library Catalog for the Nunavut Territory. Nunavut was split from the Northwest Territories on April 1, 1999.
- If you wish the current division, where your Populated Place now exists, check the Canadian Geographical Names Data Base listed above.
Populated Places Table
|FORMER NAME, if applicable||TYPE||
|ANY NEW LOCATIONS IN FHL CATALOG???||Link|
- ↑ Gazetteer of Canada. Northwest Territories and Yukon (Ottawa, Ontario : Canadian Board on Geographical Names, 1958) FHL book 971.9 E5c
- This page was last modified on 25 August 2014, at 15:47.
- This page has been accessed 412 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki