Natchez IndiansEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Linquistice group: Muskogean
Original homeland: Southwestern Mississippi along the Mississippi River
Notchietown (Main) Office
P.O. Box 484
Gore (at Notchietown), Oklahoma 74435
Fort Smith Office
1008 North 14th Street
Fort Smith, Arkansas 72901
Eastern Band Natchez
79 Bluff Road
Columbia, South Carolina 29201-0456
Edisto Natchez - Kusso
1125 Ridge Road
Ridgeville, South Carolina 29472
official web site:http://natcheznation.com/
Early encounter with explorers 1543 Hernando de Soto, and in 1682 visit from Sieur de La Salle brought missionaries and fur traders.
Relationship was established with the French which later became a conflict when the Nachez Revolt was caused by the French governor, Chopart's desire to acquire their principal village as a plantation. The Nachez massacre of the French at Fort Rosalie. The French joined forces with the Choctaw and the retaliation resulted in the Natchez leaving their villages in 1730 and dispersing among the Chickasaw, Creek, Catawba and Cherokee.
In the 1830's they removed with their host tribes to Indian Territory
On Line history
Brief Time Line
- 1713: The French establish a trading post
- 1716: Fort Rosalie established later becoming the center of the Nachez Revolt
- 1716, 1722, 1729:the tribe was at war with the French
- 1718: European colonistst negotiated for land - for large plantations
- 1729 - 1731: Nachez Revolt; The French forced about 400 Natchez to surrender; killing some and sending others to Santo Domingo as slaves. Other tribal survivors joined the Chickasaw, Creek, Catawba, Cherokee and Seminole tribes.
- 1730: French and Choctaw joined forces aginst the Natchez,
- 1832: Removed with their host tribes to Indian Territory
- Assimilated into their host Tribes and lost their identity.
Choctaw Agency - Mississippi
Choctaw Agency - Oklahoma
Chickasaw Agency - East
Chickasaw Agency - Oklahoma
Creek Agency - Georgia
Creek Agency - Oklahoma
Cherokee Agency - Arkansas
Cherokee Agency - North Carolina
Cherokee Agency - Oklahoma
Cherokee Agency - Tennessee
Seminole Agency - Florida
Seminole Agency - Oklahoma
- Guide to Federal Records in the National Archives; Record Group 75, Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs.
- Hodge, Frederick Webb. Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution, 1906 Available online.
- Klein, Barry T., ed. Reference Encyclopedia of the American Indian. Nyack, New York: Todd Publications, 2009. 10th ed. WorldCat 317923332; FHL book 970.1 R259e.
- Malinowski, Sharon and Sheets, Anna, eds. The Gale Encyclopedia of Native American Tribes. Detroit: Gale Publishing, 1998. 4 volumes. Includes: Lists of Federally Recognized Tribes for U.S., Alaska, and Canada – pp. 513-529 Alphabetical Listing of Tribes, with reference to volume and page in this series Map of “Historic Locations of U.S. Native Groups” Map of “Historic Locations of Canadian Native Groups” Map of “Historic Locations of Mexican, Hawaiian and Caribbean Native Groups” Maps of “State and Federally Recognized U.S. Indian Reservations. WorldCat 37475188; FHL book 970.1 G131g.
- Vol. 1 -- Northeast, Southeast, Caribbean
- Vol. 2 -- Great Basin, Southwest, Middle America
- Vol. 3 -- Arctic, Subarctic, Great Plains, Plateau
- Vol. 4 -- California, Pacific Northwest, Pacific Islands
- Sturtevant, William C. Handbook of North American Indians. 20 vols., some not yet published. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution, 1978– .
- Volume 1 -- Not yet published
- Volume 2 -- Indians in Contemporary Society (pub. 2008) -- WorldCat 234303751
- Volume 3 -- Environment, Origins, and Population (pub. 2006) -- WorldCat 255572371
- Volume 4 -- History of Indian-White Relations (pub. 1988) -- WorldCat 19331914; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.4.
- Volume 5 -- Arctic (pub. 1984) -- WorldCat 299653808; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.5.
- Volume 6 -- Subarctic (pub. 1981) -- WorldCat 247493742; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.6.
- Volume 7 -- Northwest Coast (pub. 1990) -- WorldCat 247493311
- Volume 8 -- California (pub. 1978) -- WorldCat 13240086; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.8.
- Volume 9 -- Southwest (pub. 1979) -- WorldCat 26140053; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.9.
- Volume 10 -- Southwest (pub. 1983) -- WorldCat 301504096; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.10.
- Volume 11 -- Great Basin (pub. 1986) -- WorldCat 256516416; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.11.
- Volume 12 -- Plateau (pub. 1998) -- WorldCat 39401371; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.12.
- Volume 13 -- Plains, 2 vols. (pub. 2001) -- WorldCat 48209643
- Volume 14 -- Southeast (pub. 2004) -- WorldCat 254277176
- Volume 15 -- Northwest (pub. 1978) -- WorldCat 356517503; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.15.
- Volume 16 -- Not yet published
- Volume 17 -- Languages (pub. 1996) -- WorldCat 43957746
- Volume 18 -- Not yet published
- Volume 19 -- Not yet published
- Volume 20 -- Not yet published
- Swanton John R. The Indian Tribes of North America. Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology, Bulletin #145 Available online.
- Waldman, Carl. Encyclopedia of Native American Tribes. New York, New York: Facts on File, 2006. 3rd ed. WorldCat 14718193; FHL book 970.1 W146e 2006.
- This page was last modified on 8 May 2014, at 14:55.
- This page has been accessed 2,946 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki