Nebraska BiographyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Biographies provide useful genealogical information such as a person’s birth date and place; names of family members, including maiden names; education; occupation; and social, political, and religious affiliation. They may also contain a physical description of the person, previous residences, and immigration information. Biographies are the product of family knowledge or previous research about early settlers and prominent citizens of a state, county, or town. Local histories may contain biographical sketches of lesser-known people.
The Nebraska State Historical Society has the best collection of published biographies. There is no statewide biographical index or major manuscript collection. State, regional, and county histories often have biographical sections.
Some representative biographical encyclopedias for Nebraska are:
- Baldwin, Sara Mullin and Robert Morton Mullin. Nebraskana: Biographical Sketches of Nebraska Men and Women of Achievement. Hebron, Nebraska: Baldwin Company, 1932. FHL film 1036245 item 4.
- Compendium of History, Reminiscence and Biography of Nebraska. Chicago, Illinois: Alden Publishing Company, 1912. FHL film 1000179; similar volumes are on FHL film 1000180.
- Morton, Julius Sterling et al. Illustrated History of Nebraska. Three Volumes. Lincoln, Nebraska: Jacob North and Co., 1905-13. FHL film 1036256. The Nebraska Historical Society has an every-name card index to these volumes on microfilm.
- Sheldon, Addison Erwin. Nebraska: The Land and the People. Three Volumes. Chicago, Illinois: Lewis Publishing Company, 1931. FHL book 978.2 H2s; FHL film 1000180. Volumes 2 and 3 are biographical.
See the United States Biographies page for information on nationwide biographical collections. See also the Nebraska "History" and "Genealogy" sections for additional sources. You may wish to explore biography, history and genealogy sections in the wiki at county levels also.
Biographies can be found on state, county and local levels. The Family History Library has many collected biographies and local or county histories with biographical sketches on residents. Additional resources for Nebraska biographies may be found in the Nebraska-Biography topic page of the FamilySearch Catalog .
- This page was last modified on 18 July 2014, at 23:48.
- This page has been accessed 2,222 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page