Netherlands, Friesland Province Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Netherlands, Friesland Province Church Records, 1543-1911 .
Title in the Language of the Record
| This section is incomplete.
You can help by adding a translation of the title in the language of the records.
The collection consists of church records of baptisms, marriages, memberships, deaths and burials. Civil births, marriages, and deaths before the advent of Napoleonic Civil Registration in 1811 are also included. Not all places or denominations are represented. The records are in Dutch, Flemish, French, and Latin.
The collection covers the years 1543 to 1911, but most of the records do not go beyond 1811.
For information about the history, content, and use of these records see the wiki article Netherlands Church Records.
These records are in Dutch and Flemish.
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Netherlands, Friesland Province, Church Records, 1543-1911.|
|This image needs a translation.You can help by adding an English translation of the image. (Instructions)|
Baptism records generally contain the following information:
- Date and place of event
- Name of child
- Age or birth date
- Names of parents
- Residence place
- Witnesses or godparents
Marriage records generally contain the following information:
- Date and place of event
- Name of bride and groom
- Residence, marital status, and age
- Names of parents
- Names of witnesses
Death records generally contain the following information:
- Date and place of death
- Date and place of birth
- Place of residence
- Names of family members
- Cause of death
How to Use the Record
This section provides tips and information on how to search and use the collection.
As you are searching, it is helpful to know such information as your ancestor's given name and surname, as well as some identifying information such as residence, age, estimated birth/death year, and family relationships.
Search the Collection
To search the collection images, select "Browse through images" on the initial collection page. Then:
⇒Select the appropriate "Religion or Other Record Category"
⇒Select the appropriate "Municipality"
⇒Select the appropriate "Record Type, Years and Volume" which takes you to the images.
Look at the images one by one, comparing the information you find with what you already know about your ancestors to determine if the image relates to them. You may need to look at several images and compare the information about the individuals listed in those images to your ancestors to make this determination. Keep in mind:
- There may be more than one person in the records with the same name.
- You may not be sure of your own ancestor’s name.
- Your ancestor may have used different names or variations of their name throughout their life.
For Help Reading These Records
These records are in Dutch, Flemish, French, and Latin. For help with reading the records, see the following resources:
- Netherlands Language and Languages
- French Word List
- Latin Genealogical Word List
- Dutch Script Tutorial
- Dutch Language Tutorials
Tips to Keep in Mind
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct.
- Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name as your ancestor and that your ancestor may have used nicknames or different names at different times.
- Titles may be clues to property ownership, occupations, rank, or status within the community.
- Continue to search the records to identify children, siblings, parents, and other relatives
|FHL Place Netherlands, Friesland items or FHL Keyword Netherlands, Friesland items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see Netherlands Archives and Libraries.|
- Trace Your Dutch Roots
- Dutch Genealogy
- Zoekakten - This website is in Dutch. It narrows down this collection by different regions and records.
Related Wiki Articles
How You Can Contribute
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citations for This Collection
When you copy information from a record, you should list where you found the information; that is, cite your sources. This will help people find the record again and evaluate the reliability of the source. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records. Citations are available for the collection as a whole and each record or image individually.
- "Netherlands, Friesland Province Church Records, 1543-1911" Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2016. Citing Nederlands Rijksarchiefdienst [Netherlands National Archives, The Hague].
|The citation for an image is available on each image in this collection by clicking Show Citation at the bottom left of the image screen. You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Netherlands, Friesland Province Church Records, 1543-1911.|
- This page was last modified on 8 February 2016, at 21:28.
- This page has been accessed 2,487 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News