Netherlands, Groningen Province, Civil Registration (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Netherlands, Groningen Province, Civil Registration, 1811-1940 .
Title in the Language of the Records
Groningen Burgerlijke Stand
The collection covers the years 1811 to 1940, but the exact years available vary within each municipality and record type.
The collection consists of civil registrations of births, marriages, and deaths for the province of Groningen. Indexes, marriage intentions, marriage proclamations, marriage supplements, and divorces are also included.
For information about the history, content, and use of these records see the wiki article Netherlands Civil Registration (FamilySearch Historical Records).
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Netherlands, Groningen Province, Civil Registration, 1811-1940.|
|This image needs a translation.You can help by adding an English translation of the image. (Instructions)|
Marriage Records generally contain the following information:
- Date and Place of Event
- Name of Bride and Groom
- Residence, Marital Status, and Age
- Names of Parents
- Names of Witnesses
Birth Records generally contain the following information:
- Birth Date and Place
- Name of Child
- If Stillborn, Illegitimate, or Twin
- Names of Parents, Residence, and Father's Occupation
- Birth Place of Father
- Birth Place of Mother
- Date and Number of Record
Death Records generally contain the following information:
- Date and Place of Death
- Name of Deceased Person
- Age or Birth Date
- Residence Place and sometimes the Place of Origin
- Cause of Death
- Marital Status
- If Married, the Name of the Spouse and sometimes the Names of Children
- Sometimes Names of Parents
- Names of Witnesses
How to Use the Record
This section contains information on how to search the records, related searches, and how to use the information you find.
Search the Collection
To search the collection by image:
⇒Select "Browse through images" on the initial collection page
⇒Select the appropriate "Municipality"
⇒Select the appropriate "Record Type and Years" which takes you to the images.
Look at each image individually, comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine if the image relates to them. You may need to look at several images and compare the information about the individuals listed in those images to your ancestors to make this determination.
As you are searching, it is helpful to know such information as your ancestor’s given name and surname, some identifying information such as residence and age, and family relationships. Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name as your ancestor and that your ancestor may have used nicknames or different names at different times.
Civil Registrations in Nearby Localities
If you can't find your ancestor, try looking in the records for surrounding areas.
- Netherlands, Drenthe Province, Civil Registration (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Netherlands, Friesland Province, Civil Registration (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Netherlands, Gelderland Province Civil Registration (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Netherlands, Limburg Province, Civil Registration (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Netherlands, Noord-Brabant Province, Civil Registration (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Netherlands, Noord-Holland, Civil Registration (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Netherlands, Overijssel, Civil Registration (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Netherlands, Utrecht Province, Civil Registration (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Netherlands, Zeeland Province, Civil Registration (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Netherlands, Zuid-Holland Province, Civil Registration (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Netherlands Births and Baptisms (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Netherlands Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Netherlands Deaths and Burials (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|FHL Place Netherlands, Groningen items or FHL Keyword Netherlands, Groningen items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see Netherlands Archives and Libraries.|
Known Issues with This Collection
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached Wiki article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to email@example.com. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
For Help Reading These Records
These records are in Dutch or Flemish. For help with reading the records, see the following resources:
- AlleGroningers in Dutch - This website provides an excellent search interface to Burgerlijke Staand for all of Groningen Province and to selected parrish records pre-1811
- Zoekakten - This website is in Dutch. It narrows down this collection by different regions and records.
- Trace Your Dutch Roots
Related Wiki Articles
How You Can Contribute
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citations for This Collection
When you copy information from a record, you should list where you found the information; that is, cite your sources. This will help people find the record again and evaluate the reliability of the source. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records. Citations are available for the collection as a whole and each record or image individually.
- "Netherlands, Groningen Province, Civil Registration. 1811-1940" Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2015. Citing archive Nederlands Rijksarchiefdienst [Netherlands National Archives, Groningen].
|The citation for an image is available on each image in this collection by clicking Show Citation at the bottom left of the image screen. You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Netherlands, Groningen Province, Civil Registration 1811-1940.|
- This page was last modified on 18 August 2015, at 15:24.
- This page has been accessed 3,125 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News