Nevada County, ArkansasEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
- This article is about a southwestern county of Arkansas. For other uses, see Nevada (disambiguation).
Guide to Nevada County Arkansas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Nevada County, Arkansas|
Location in the state of Arkansas
Location of Arkansas in the U.S.
|Founded||March 20, 1871|
|Address|| Nevada County Courthouse|
215 E 2nd St Street;
Prescott, AR 71857
This page adopted by Betsy Mills, Nevada County, ARGenWeb County Coordinator
Nevada County Courthouse
215 E 2nd St Street;
Prescott, AR 71857
County Clerk has marriage and probate records from 1871 and cemetery records; Clerk Circuit Court divorce and court and land records from 1871.
See an interactive map of Nevada County boundary changes.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Arkansas denominations, view the Arkansas Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Arkansas Land and Property for additional information about early Arkansas land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Nevada County, Arkansas. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see Arkansas Local Histories.
- Family Maps of Nevada County, Arkansas (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- Township and Township/Range Maps - Nevada County, AR
Civil War Battle
The following Civil War battles were fought in Nevada County.
- April 3-4, 1864 = Elkin’s Ferry, also known as Okolona
- April 9-13, 1864 = Prairie D'Ane, also known as Gum Grove or Moscow
- Map showing Civil War battles in Arkansas.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Nevada County, Arkansas newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records of Arkansas have been kept by the probate or county courts. You can obtain copies of the original records by contacting the clerk's office in the county courthouse.
The Family History Library has microfilm copies of many Arkansas probate records. See Arkansas Probate Records for more information about Probate records in Arkansas, including statewide indexes.
Arkansas tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years for some counties. For more information see Arkansas Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Arkansas Vital Records State Department of Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also Arkansas Vital Records Online and Arkansas Statewide Indexes and Collections at the Family History Library.
- 1871-1924 - Nevada County Marriage Books A-P Index 1871-1924 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
- 1871-1953 - Nevada County Marriage Books A-Z, AA-CC Index 1871-1953 in Arkansas, County Marriages, 1837-1957 at FamilySearch - free.
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Nevada County Depot and Museum - http://www.depotmuseum.org/
403 West First Street South
PO Box 592
Prescott AR 71857
Phone: (870) 887-5821
Nevada County doesn't have a genealogical society at this time, but the Hempstead County Genealogy Society does have information about Nevada County.
PO Box 756
Hope, AR 71802
Family History Centers
- ARGenWeb Project - Nevada County
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Nevada County, Arkansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), p. 69.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 2 August 2012).
- ↑ Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 15 August 2012).
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/d/d7/Arkansasnz.pdf.
- ↑ FamilySearch Wiki contributors, "Arkansas County Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)," in FamilySearch Wiki, accessed 18 April 2013.
- This page was last modified on 20 May 2013, at 19:33.
- This page has been accessed 1,776 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More