Nevada NewspapersEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Several handwritten news sheets circulated in the mining camps of Nevada in the early 1850's. Nevada's first printed newspaper, the Territorial Gazette, began in Genoa in 1858.
Resources for Nevada Newspapers
A helpful bibliography of Nevada newspapers is Richard E. Lingenfelter and Karen Rix Gash, The Newspapers of Nevada: A History and Bibliography, 1854-1979 (Reno, Nevada: University of Nevada Press, 1984. (FHL book 979.3 B3L 1984). The Family History Library has not collected Nevada newspapers.
Libraries and Archives
Major collections of Nevada newspapers are at the the Nevada State Museum and Historical Society, as well as local courthouses and libraries. Spiros's Genealogical Guide to Arizona and Nevada describes newspapers available on microfilm.
The U.S. Newspaper Directory, 1690-Present is a national directory from the Library of Congress of over 140,000 newspaper titles. The directory provides a list of libraries from around the country that have the newspapers in their collections.
Digital Issues Online
- Ancestry ($) has a collection of online historical newspapers for Nevada.
- Chronicling America has some historical issues for the state of Nevada online.
- Genealogy Bank ($) has over two dozen Nevada newspaper collections
- NewspaperArchive ($) has a collection of digitized Reno newspapers online. This database is sometimes free at libraries. It may be under the name Access NewspaperArchive.
Several indexes to Nevada newspapers have been compiled, including an index to the Territorial Enterprise, 1859 to 1877, and an index to the Nevada State Journal, 1872 to 1876. These indexes are available at the Nevada Historical Society. Other indexes, such as an index to the Pioche Record, 1872 to 1904, are available at the Nevada State Museum and Historical Society.
- This page was last modified on 28 August 2012, at 04:25.
- This page has been accessed 2,141 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More