New Hampshire, Hillsborough County, Manchester, Cemetery Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: New Hampshire, Hillsborough County, Manchester, Cemetery Records, 1800-2007 .
Title of the Record
New Hampshire, Manchester, Hillsborough County, Cemetery Records, 1800 to 2007
This Collection will include records from 1800 to 2007.
For a list of localities currently published in this collection, select the [ Browse]link from the collection landing page.
Cemeteries begin keeping records as soon as they are opened. The purchase of a burial plot is a land transaction and is recorded with a deed.
For a list of cemeteries and obituaries currently published in this collection, select the Browse.
Cemetery records are kept as a permanent record of who was buried and usually who purchased the burial plot.
The information in these records is usually reliable, but depends upon the reliability of the informant.
- Name and age of deceased
- Date of Death
- Date of Burial
- Birth date of deceased
- Location of grave
- Cause of Death
- Name of Undertaker
How to Use the Record
To begin your search it is helpful to know:
- Name of the deceased
- Identifying information such as the death and burial dates.
Search the Collection
To search the collection
⇒Select "Browse through images" on the initial collection page
⇒Select the appropriate "Cemetery Name or Obituaries"
⇒Select the appropriate "Surname Range" that takes you to the images.
Search the collection by image comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine which one is your ancestor. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to make this determination.
As you are searching it is helpful to know such information as your ancestor’s given name and surname, some identifying information such as residence and age, and family relationships. Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name as your ancestor and that your ancestor may have used nicknames or different names at different times.
Using the Information
When you have located your ancestor’s burial record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. Burial records are often brief so it can be easy confuse individuals. Compare what is information is given with what you already know about your ancestor to make sure it is the correct person.
Next, look at the pieces of information given in the burial record for new information. Add any new information to your records of each family. You should also look for leads to other records about your ancestors. For example:
- Use the birth date or year to search for birth records.
- Use the birth date along with your relative’s names to find the family in census records.
- Use the locality and relative's name to locate church and land records.
Tips to Keep in Mind
- The name of the undertaker or mortuary could lead you to funeral and cemetery records, which often include the names and residences of other family members.
- Compile the entries for every person with the same surname. This is especially helpful for rural areas or unusual surnames.
- Continue to search the records to identify children, siblings, parents, and other relatives of the deceased who may have been buried in the same cemetery or nearby. This can help you identify other generations of your family. Repeat this process for each new generation you identify.
- When looking for a person with a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct.
Unable to Find Your Ancestor?
- Check for variant spellings of the surnames.
- Search the indexes and records of nearby cemeteries.
|FHL Place United States, New Hampshire, Hillsborough items or FHL Keyword New Hampshire, Hillsborough items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see New Hampshire Archives and Libraries.|
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. Guidelines are available to help you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide. If you would like to get more involved join the WikiProject FamilySearch Records.|
Citation for This Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the information published in FamilySearch.org Historical Records collections. Sources include the author, custodian, publisher, and archive for the original records.
- "New Hampshire, Hillsborough County, Manchester, Cemetery Records, 1800-2007" Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2013. Citing Pine Grove Cemetery, Manchester.
- This page was last modified on 28 August 2014, at 18:25.
- This page has been accessed 4,803 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki