New Hampshire GazetteersEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
A gazetteer is a list and description of places such as villages, towns, and cities. It may also mention neighborhoods, cemeteries, sizes of populations, rivers, mountains, and other geographical features. It can be used to locate the places where your family lived. Only the names of places that existed at the time the gazetteer was published are included. The following gazetteers are available for New Hampshire:
- Clements, John. New Hampshire Facts. Dallas, Texas: Clements Research, 1987. (Family History Library Book 974.2 E6c.) This is a comprehensive look at New Hampshire today, county by county.
- Farmer, John, and Jacob B. Moore. A Gazetteer of the State of New Hampshire. Concord, New Hampshire: Jacob B. Moore, 1823. (Family History Library book 974.2 E5f; film 823666 item 2.) This source includes an accurate map of the state in 1823 and some engravings.
- Fogg, Alonzo J. The Statistics and Gazetteer of New Hampshire. 1874. Reprint, Tucson, Arizona: W.C. Cox, 1972. (FHL film 1000197 item 2; compact disc no. 99.) This gazetteer contains descriptions of all the counties, towns and villages; boundaries and area of the state; and its natural resources. This book is also available as a free downloadable ebook on Google Books.
- Hayward, John. A Gazetteer of New Hampshire. Boston, Massachusetts.: John P. Jewett, 1849. (Family History Library book 974.2 E5h; film 823666; fiche 6019968.) Hayward's gazetteer can be read on the Internet at www.archive.org. This gazetteer contains descriptions of all the counties, towns, and districts in the state plus principal mountains, rivers, harbors, and islands. It includes statistical accounts of its agriculture, commerce, and manufacturers. Early settlers and early ministers are often mentioned.
Other gazetteers can be found in the Locality Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
NEW HAMPSHIRE- GAZETTEERS
- This page was last modified on 25 July 2014, at 16:12.
- This page has been accessed 1,430 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki