New Hampshire PeriodicalsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Most family organizations, historical societies, and genealogical societies publish magazines and newsletters. They typically focus on the records of a particular county. Periodicals often include family genealogies and pedigrees, transcripts of local courthouse records, church records, and family Bible and cemetery records. They may also include information about local records, book reviews, and queries or requests for information about specific ancestors that can help you contact other interested researchers.
Periodicals or magazines of special interest to those conducting New Hampshire research are:
- New Hampshire Genealogical Record. 1903–April 1910; 1990–. Published by the New Hampshire Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 2316, Concord, NH 03302 Family History Library book 974.2 D25nh; 1903–1910 on films 14928–29; compact disc no.99. In 1990 the New Hampshire Genealogical Society was re-established as the New Hampshire Society of Genealogists, and the publication was started again with the July 1990 issue. This quarterly contains articles on New Hampshire genealogy, history, and research. Each volume is indexed and there is a combined index. Volumes 1-7 are available online. See www.ebooksread.com for volumes 1-5, and 7. See www.archives.org for vol. 6. For vols. 7-18 the titles of the articles are online at nhsog.org/nhsog/record_index.htm and you can do a key word search with Ctrl + F3.
- The Granite Monthly. 1877–1930. 51 vols. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1982. Family History Library fiche 6010178–228 [set of 242]. This is a New Hampshire magazine devoted to literature, history, and state progress. It is also a good source of biographies. Some volumes are indexed, and there is an index to volumes 1–34 in volume 37.
- Historical New Hampshire. 1944–. Published by the New Hampshire Historical Society, 30 Park Street, Concord, NH 03301. Family History Library book 974.2 H25h. The Family History Library has volumes 27, no.2 (Summer 1972) to the present. An index to volumes 1–25 (1944–1970) was also published by the society Family History Library book 974.2 H25h index. These volumes contain brief histories of New Hampshire towns plus biographies and character sketches of those living in New Hampshire.
- American-Canadian Genealogist: Official Journal of the American-Canadian Genealogical Society of New Hampshire. 1975–. Published by the American-Canadian Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 6478, Manchester, NH 03108. Family History Library Book 970 D25g. This source contains genealogical information and stories about the inhabitants of both New Hampshire and Canada and how their lives intertwined. It includes other states but is mainly concerned with those on the American-Canadian border.
- The New England Historical and Genealogical Register. 1847–. Published by the New England Historic Genealogical Society, 101 Newbury Street, Boston, Massachusetts 02116. Digital version at American Ancestors ($); Family History Library book 974 B2ne; on 43 films beginning with 845443; compact disc no.31 pts.1–9.) This major periodical includes genealogies, vital records extracts, church records, local genealogies, and New England source material. All issues are well documented and indexed. Includes a cumulative index to 1995.
Most of the periodicals listed above have annual indexes in the final issue for the year. For nationwide indexes to most of these and other family history periodicals see:
Periodical Source Index (PERSI). 31+vols. Ft. Wayne, Indiana: Allen County Public Library Foundation, 1986–. (1847– 1985]; (1986–1990]. This indexes over 1.1 million articles in over 5,000 English-language and French Canadian family history periodicals. For further instructions see the Periodical Source Index Resource Guide (34119). For easier-to-use, more complete computer editions of the index see:
Periodical Source Index CD-ROM. Orem, Utah: Ancestry, and the Allen County Public Library Foundation, 1997. Family History Library compact disc no.61. This disc does not circulate to Family History Centers. It merges all 31+ volumes into one index.
"Periodical Source Index Search." In Ancestry.com. [Orem, Utah]: Ancestry, 1999. Available at ancestry.com.
This online database is available only to Ancestry.com members for a subscription fee.
For more family history periodicals, study the FamilySearch Catalog Locality Search under:
NEW HAMPSHIRE- PERIODICALS
NEW HAMPSHIRE- GENEALOGY- PERIODICALS
NEW HAMPSHIRE- HISTORY- PERIODICALS
NEW HAMPSHIRE, [COUNTY]- GENEALOGY- PERIODICALS
- This page was last modified on 25 July 2014, at 16:12.
- This page has been accessed 1,586 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki