New Jersey GazetteersEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Several guides to place names in New Jersey have been published. The best are:
- Gordon, Thomas F. A Gazetteer of the State of New Jersey. 1834. Digital version at Google Books - free. Reprint, New Orleans, La.: Polyanthos, 1973: FHL Book 974.9 E5g; Film 897471; Fiche 6046927.
- Gannett, Henry. A Geographic Dictionary of New Jersey. 1894. Reprint, Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Company, 1978. FHL Book 974.9 E5; FHL Fiche 6046942.)
- National Gazetteer of the United States of America—New Jersey 1983. Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1983. FHL Book 974.9 E5n.) This book lists all the political and geographic features represented on the United States Geographical Survey 7.5-minute topographical maps. The gazetteer can be used for finding the location of some churches, cemeteries, and schools.
- United States Geographical Survey's Geographical Names Information System (GNIS) - Find which county a town is in, what town a cemetery is in, even where a postoffice or building is.
- State of New Jersey Locality Name Search -- by the State of New Jersey.
- New Jersey Gazetteer -- By Hometown Locator (both browse and search capabilities).
- This page was last modified on 17 September 2014, at 23:52.
- This page has been accessed 2,199 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page