New Jersey GazetteersEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Several guides to place names in New Jersey have been published. The best are:
- Gordon, Thomas F. A Gazetteer of the State of New Jersey. 1834. Digital version at Google Books - free. Reprint, New Orleans, La.: Polyanthos, 1973: FHL Book 974.9 E5g; Film 897471; Fiche 6046927.
- Gannett, Henry. A Geographic Dictionary of New Jersey. 1894. Reprint, Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Company, 1978. FHL Book 974.9 E5; FHL Fiche 6046942.)
- National Gazetteer of the United States of America—New Jersey 1983. Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1983. FHL Book 974.9 E5n.) This book lists all the political and geographic features represented on the United States Geographical Survey 7.5-minute topographical maps. The gazetteer can be used for finding the location of some churches, cemeteries, and schools.
- United States Geographical Survey's Geographical Names Information System (GNIS) - Find which county a town is in, what town a cemetery is in, even where a postoffice or building is.
- State of New Jersey Locality Name Search -- by the State of New Jersey.
- New Jersey Gazetteer -- By Hometown Locator (both browse and search capabilities).
- This page was last modified on 10 July 2012, at 17:20.
- This page has been accessed 1,113 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More