New Jersey NewspapersEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The earliest regular newspaper published in New Jersey, The New Jersey Gazette, began publication in December 1777. This was soon followed by the New Jersey Journal in 1779. Earlier events were often published in Pennsylvania Newspapers.
Resources for New Jersey Newspapers
Information from various newspapers, 1704 to 1782, was published as Extracts from American Newspapers Relating to New Jersey in the first series (vol. 11-12, 19-20, 24-29, 31) and second series (vol. 1-5) of Archives of the State of New Jersey. Each volume has an every-name index. These series are described in greater detail in New Jersey History. Similar extracts are found in:
- Wilson, Thomas B. Notices from New Jersey Newspapers, 1781-1790. Volume I. Lambertville, N.J.: Hunterdon House, 1988. FHL Book 974.9 H28w.
For a guide to New Jersey newspapers, refer to:
- Wright, William C. and Paul A. Stellhorn, eds. Directory of New Jersey Newspapers, 1765-1970. Trenton, N.J.: New Jersey Historical Commission, 1977. FHL Book 974.9 B33d. Most of the 4,400 titles in this book have been microfilmed and can be borrowed through interlibrary loan.
Libraries and Archives
The largest collections of New Jersey newspapers are at the New Jersey State Library, New Jersey Historical Society, Rutgers University Library, and Library of Congress. The New Jersey State Archives also has a large collection of over 5,000 microfilms of newspapers, which can be requested by interlibrary loan. The Family History Library collects indexes and abstracts of newspaper vital records, but does not have any New Jersey newspapers.
The U.S. Newspaper Directory, 1690-Present is a national directory from the Library of Congress of over 140,000 newspaper titles. The directory provides a list of libraries from around the country that have the newspapers in their collections.
Digital Issues Online
- 1783-1786 - The Political Intelligence and New-Jersey Advertiser at Google News - free.
Indexes to newspaper vital records are mentioned in New Jersey Vital Records
- New Jersey State Library
- New Jersey Historical Society
- Rutgers University
- Library of Congress
- 50 States
- This page was last modified on 19 September 2012, at 23:36.
- This page has been accessed 4,162 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page