New Jersey PeriodicalsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Most family history periodicals reprint copies of local records of genealogical value. These may include genealogies; information about local records and archives; queries; census indexes; and transcripts of family Bibles, church records, court records, cemetery records, land records, obituaries, and wills.
The major genealogical periodicals helpful for New Jersey research are:
- The Genealogical Magazine of New Jersey. 1925–. Published three times a year by the Genealogical Society of New Jersey. FHL Book 974.9 B2g; vols. 1-25, 36-43 on films beginning with film 982039. There are separately published indexes for volumes 1-50 (1925-1975). FHL Book 974.9 B2g index 1973.
- The New Jersey Genesis. 1953-1971. Published first by Harold A. Sonn, later by Carl M. Williams. FHL Book 974.9 B2ge.
All issues have been indexed by:
- Nissen, Mrs. Carl, ed. Index to the New Jersey Genesis, 1953-1971, compiled by The New Mexico Genealogical Society. Albuquerque, New Mexico: Hermosa Publishers, 1973. FHL Book 974.9 B2ge index.
- New Jersey History (formerly Proceedings of the New Jersey Historical Society, 1845-1966). 1967–. Published by the New Jersey Historical Society, 230 Broadway, Newark, New Jersey 07104. FHL Book 974.9 B2h; through Series 3 vol.3 on films 1206442-43 items 1-5. A cumulative subject index through 1919 is found in New Series, vol. 5, no. 1, January 1920 FHL Film 1206443. The journal has not published genealogical source material since 1951. Indexed annually.
- The Cape May County Magazine of History and Genealogy. 1931–. Published annually by the Cape May County Historical and Genealogical Society, Rt. 9, Cape May Court House, New Jersey 08210. FHL Book 974.998 B2c. Indexed in Robert Crozer Alexander, Index to the Magazine of History and Genealogy, 1931-1987. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1990. FHL Films 1684612-13. This card index was filmed at the Cape May Courthouse, New Jersey.
- The Jerseyman. 1891-1905. Published by the Hunterdon County Historical Society, 114 Main St., Flemington, New Jersey 08822. FHL Book 974.971 B2j, Film 1425613 items 3-5, Fiche 6045912, Index on Fiche 6045913. No circulation of these microfiche to Family History Centers.
- Somerset County Historical Quarterly. 1912-1919. Edited by A. Van Doren Honeyman and published by the Somerset County Historical Society, Somerville, New Jersey. Reprinted by Hunterdon House, Lambertville, New Jersey, 1977-1989. FHL Book 974.944 H2s v. 3-8; vols. 1-8 are on films 571134-35. Each volume is indexed.
- Vineland Historical Magazine. 1916–. Published semiannually through 1977 and annually since 1978 by the Vineland Historical and Antiquarian Society, P.O. Box 35, Vineland, New Jersey 08360. FHL Book 974.9 B2v; vols. 1-3 on film 483692 item 2. Only a few volumes are indexed at the end.
Most of the periodicals listed above have annual indexes in the final issue for the year. Cumulative indexes for several years are also available as listed. For nationwide indexes to all of these and other family history periodicals, see United States Periodicals. Also see:
PERiodical Source Index (PERSI).
Ft. Wayne, Indiana: Allen County Public Library Foundation, 1987-. (Family History Library].) Indexes thousands of family history periodicals. Annual indexes have been published yearly since 1986. For further details see the PERiodical Source Index Resource Guide (34119) in the FamilySearch Catalog at www.familysearch.org or online at:
For more family history periodicals, study the Family History Library Catalog Place Search under:
NEW JERSEY - PERIODICALS
NEW JERSEY - GENEALOGY - PERIODICALS
NEW JERSEY - SOCIETIES - PERIODICALS
NEW JERSEY, [COUNTY] - PERIODICALS
NEW JERSEY, [COUNTY] - GENEALOGY - PERIODICALS
NEW JERSEY, [COUNTY] - SOCIETIES - PERIODICALS
- This page was last modified on 30 January 2015, at 05:17.
- This page has been accessed 4,930 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News