New Madrid County, MissouriEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to New Madrid County Missouri genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|New Madrid County, Missouri|
Location of Missouri in the U.S.
|Founded||October 1, 1812|
|County Seat||New Madrid|
|Address|| New Madrid County Courthouse|
PO Box 68
New Madrid, MO 63869
New Madrid County Website
Recorder of Deeds has marriage and land records;
Clerk Circuit Court has divorce and court records;
Probate Court has probate records
New Madrid County predates the state of Missouri which was admitted to the union in 1821.New Madrid was one of the five original districts of the Louisiana Territory from 1805-1812 and one of the five original counties of the Missouri Territory from 1812 to 1821.
1812--New Madrid County was created 1 October 1812 as an original county.
County seat: New Madrid. 
- See an interactive map of New Madrid County border changes at N2Genealogy.
- The State Historical Society of Missouri has information on historical Missouri place names for all 114 Missouri Counties.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Missouri denominations, view the Missouri Church Records wiki page.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Missouri Land and Property for information about records of land transfers from the government to private ownership. After that transfer, transactions were usually recorded and are currently housed at the county courthouse.
Local histories are available for New Madrid County, Missouri. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the Wiki page section Missouri Local Histories.
A Facebook page where old and new residence can share old tales of New Madrid County and the Small communites in it.
- Map of New madrid County townships (Histopolis)
- The University of Missouri Digital Library has digital copies of Missouri county plat books (ca. 1930) for all Missouri counties including New Madrid County. The city of St. Louis is not included in this collection.
Civil War Battle
The following Civil War Battle was fought in New Madrid County
Map showing Civil War battles in Missouri
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as New Madrid County, Missouri newspapers in online catalogs like:
In Missouri, probate records have usually been recorded by the clerks of the probate courts, but in some counties the common pleas or circuit courts handled this function. They are frequently indexed.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Missouri Taxation.
St. Louis and Kansas City recorded births and deaths starting as early as 1850 for deaths and 1870 for births. The Missouri Department of Health began keeping birth and death records in 1909. County records vary by year and the county. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Missouri Vital Records State Department of Health or the County Clerk's office.
- 1847-1881 - New Madrid County Marriage Index 1847-1881. Batch M515501 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1881-1885 - New Madrid County Marriage Index 1881-1885. Batch M515502 at FamilySearch - free.
- Missouri State Archives provides on-line access to Missouri Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
Societies and Libraries
New Madrid County Library
309 East Main
Portageville, MO 63873
Phone: (573 379-3583
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), New Madrid County, Missouri. Page 403 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 15 August 2012)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/d/d8/Igimissourij.pdf.
|This Missouri-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 7 September 2013, at 21:19.
- This page has been accessed 2,887 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More