New York, Land Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)/Known IssuesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
| This page was created by FamilySearch Historical Records personnel. It details problems identified within this collection and answers to those problems.
If you wish to comment, please visit the talk page to post your comments.
NOTE: For a way to determine what digital records are likely to be found within a collection or how to find missing images elsewhere, see Article 56000, Using Film Notes in the Catalog to determine the content of a final browse point in Historical Records
NOTE: Most missing records are available on microfilm. See Ordering Microfilm or Microfiche for instructions on ordering microfilm as well as finding a local FamilySearch Center where you can view the films.
Question #1: Some records are missing. Where can they be viewed?
Answer #1: See answers below for information about known missing records and their respective film numbers, if available, or alternate online location:
- Chautauqua > Deeds 1846-1853 vol 41 images are available on Film 478723.
- Delaware > Mortgagor index 1858-1871 are available on Film 831870.
- Erie > Deed index-grantee 1929-1930 vol 15, A-L is missing K-L Grantee Indexes. Unfortunately, the indexes for K-L are Grantor instead of Grantee indexes, and are not available on any microfilm. These Grantor indexes for K-L are repeated in Erie > Deed index-grantor 1929-1930 vol 15, K-S.
- Essex > Mortgagee index 1799-1860 vol 1 is missing Pages 80-83 that would fit between images 46 and 47. These images are not available on microfilm.
- Jefferson > Deeds 1832 vol I2-K2 is missing Pages 395-404 that would fit between images 507 and 508. They were re-filmed and are located on images 292-296.
- Livingston > Deeds 1863-1867 vol 68-69 contains an incorrect Danish film. Until the problem is corrected you may order Film 510068.
- Onondaga > Grantee index 1794-1870 vol 4 is missing pages 1544 and 1545 between images 370 and 371. The images are not available on microfilm.
- Schuyler County Index Books are not online at this time, but are available on Film 83484.
Question #2: The Event Type and Year Range (browse point) title does not properly reflect the actual digital record content. Is there a way to determine what digital records are likely to be found within a collection?
Answer #2: The following list of known browse point discrepancies describes the event type or year range that actually exist in this collection:
- Albany > Mortgagee index 1755-1829 contains both Albany > Mortgagor index 1630-1894 U-Z (starting with Image 4) and Albany > Mortgagee index 1755-1829 (starting with Image 273)
- The Deed records in the All Counties browse points are all from Albany County.
- Broome County Mortgage records are misplaced in the Tioga County browse point as follows:
Mortgagee Index 1806-1869 vol 1-5
Mortgagee Index 1870-1887 vol 6-7
Mortgagee Index 1888-189 vol 8
Mortgages 1806-1819 vol 1-2
Mortgages 1818-1830 vol 3-4
Mortgages 1830-1835 vol 5-6
Mortgages 1835-1839 vol 7-8
Mortgages 1839-1843 vol 9-10
Mortgages 1843-1846 vol 11-12
Mortgages 1846-1848 vol 13-14
Mortgages 1851-1852 vol 17-18
Mortgages 1852-1853 vol 19
Mortgagor Index 1806-1869 vol 1-5
Mortgagor Index 1870-1887 vol 6-7
Mortgagor Index 1888-1895 vol 8
- Chautauqua > Deeds 1857 v. 78 and 1883 v. 85 are on the same film. The images were all loaded in the browse point Deeds 1857 v. 78. The v. 85 images begin on Image 243.
- Chautauqua > Deeds 1846-1853 vol 41 are from Wayne County.
- Chemung County contains records for the counties of Schuyler, Steuben, Tioga and Tompkins. Most of the records are correctly labeled but are misplaced. In addition to those that are labeled, the following folders below can be found:
- Schuyler County records:
- Grantee Index 1876-1883 Vol 1
Grantee Index 1883-1910 Vol 2
Grantee Index 1949-1965 A-K
Grantee Index 1949-1965 L-Z
:Grantor Index 1876-1882 Vol 1
Grantor Index 1882-1910 Vol 2
Grantor Index 1910-1931 A-Z
Grantor Index 1932-1948 A-K
Grantor Index 1932-1948 L-Z
Grantor Index 1949-1965 A-K
Grantor Index 1949-1965 L-Z
- Grantee Index 1876-1883 Vol 1
- Tioga County records:
Mortgages 1791-1831 Vol 1-2
- Mortgages 1830-1838 Vol 3-4
- Green > Grantor index 1880-1890 C-L year span should read as 1800-1890.
- Genesee > Grantee index 1802-1912 A-G, Grantee index 1802-1912 H-R, and Grantee index 1802-1912 S-Z contain the Mortgage Index for Grantees (Mortgagees).
- Genesee > Grantor Index 1802-1912 A-G, Grantor Index 1802-1912 H-R, and Grantor Index 1802-1912 S-Z contain the Mortgage Index for Grantors (Mortgagors).
- Kings > Grantor index 1945-1949 C contains Kings > Grantor index 1683-1867 D1, starting with Image 569-818.
- St. Lawrence > Deeds 1867-1877 vol 105B-105C is located Deeds 1877 vol 105 B and C.
- Tompkins > Grantee Index (Ithaca) 1860-1913 H-Z is not consistently alphabetized. Images 250-361 are images from Se-Z, Images 362-363 are blank, Images 364-398 begin again with St and have a random listing of records from Sn-W.
- Ulster > Grantor index, A-Dqz, 1685-1899 and Grantee index, A-Dqz, 1685-1899 are available but labeled as Grantee Index 1685-1899 vol 1-4 and Grantor Index 1685-1899 vol 1-4.
- Westchester County (Greenburgh) Grantor Indexes have been incorrectly labeled as Grantee Indexes, as follows:
Grantee Index (Greenburgh) 1898-1907 vol 1
Grantee Index (Greenburgh) 1898-1931 A-C
Grantee Index (Greenburgh) 1898-1931 D-R
Grantee Index (Greenburgh) 1898-1931 S-Z
Grantee Index (Greenburgh)1908-1917 vol 2
Grantee Index (Greenburgh) 1941-1957 vol 5, A-L
Grantee Index (Greenburgh) 1941-1957 vol 5, M-Z
Grantee Index (Greenburgh) 1958-1966 vol 6, A-M
Grantee Index (Greenburgh) 1958-1966 vol 6, N-Z
Question #3: Some images found when browsing are upside down and backwards (mirror- image). Is there another way to view these images?
Answer #3: These images are available on microfilm which can be ordered and viewed. See NOTE above. If you don’t wish to order the film, rotating the image using the tools bar will allow you to view the image right side up, but the words are still backwards. It is difficult, but not impossible to read the image in this manner. You may try reading the text from a mirror image of your monitor.
Question #4: There seem to be many record types missing from the Oneida County browse point. Where can these missing records be found?
Answer #4: Many record types for Oneida County have been misplaced within the Herkimer County, including Deeds, Grantee Indexes and Grantor Indexes.
The following browse points are from Oneida County
|Grantee Index 1791-1884 A-B||Grantor Index 1791-1884 A-B|
|Grantee Index 1791-1884 C-D||Grantor Index 1791-1884 C-F|
|Grantee Index 1791-1884 E-H||Grantor Index 1791-1884 G-I|
|Grantee Index 1791-1884 Ho-L||Grantor Index 1791-1884 J-K, M-Mi|
|Grantee Index 1791-1884 M-O||Grantor Index 1791-1884 Mo-P|
|Grantee Index 1791-1884 P-Si||Grantor Index 1791-1884 Q-S|
|Grantee Index 1791-1884 Sm-V||Grantor Index 1791-1884 T-Z|
|Grantee Index 1791-1884 W-Z||Grantor Index 1885-1912 A-C|
|Grantee Index 1885-1912 A-C||Grantor Index 1885-1912 D-G|
|Grantee Index 1885-1912 D-G||Grantor Index 1885-1912 H-L|
|Grantee Index 1885-1912 H-L||Grantor Index 1885-1912 M-R|
|Grantee Index 1885-1912 M-R||Grantor Index 1885-1912 S-Z|
|Grantee Index 1885-1912 S-Z|
There are two sets of Deed records identified in the Herkimer County Browse point and they are intermingled. The ones from Oneida County begin the series with
- Deeds 1791-1795 Vol 1-2
Deeds 1795-1797 Vol 3-4
Deeds 1796-1799 Vol 5-6
Deeds 1799-1801 Vol 7-8 and follow this sequence through Deeds 1900-1901 Vol 560
The Herkimer County series begins with
- Deeds 1804-1807 Vol 1-2
Deeds 1807-1810 Vol 3-4
Deeds 1810-1813 Vol 5-6
Deeds 1813-1815 Vol 7-8 and follow this sequence through Deeds 1899-1902 Vol 171
Please NOTE: Oneida County was created from Herkimer County in 1798. All records preceding that date would correctly be located in the Herkimer County browse point.
If you encounter additional problems with this collection, feel free to report them at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the following information:
- If searching a specific collection: please include the name of the collection; include all search criteria used, including name, event, dates and places.
- If browsing this collection: please include the full path you followed to where the problem occurred. The browse path is located above the Image viewer window.
For example: New York, Land Records, 1630-1975 > Bronx > Conveyances (New York) 1874 vol 1266-1293 > Image 6 of 826.
- If you are reporting a technical issue: please include your operating system and browser version, such as Windows 7 and Internet Explorer.
Your assistance will help ensure that future revisions will be considered.
Return to the New York, Land Records (FamilySearch Historical Records) Learn More page.
Return to the New York, Land Records, 1630-1975 collection at FamilySearch.org.
- This page was last modified on 11 April 2015, at 17:54.
- This page has been accessed 2,237 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More