New York, State Census, 1875 (FamilySearch Historical Records)/Known IssuesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
| This page was created by FamilySearch Historical Records personnel. It details problems identified within this collection and answers to those problems.
If you wish to comment, please visit the talk page to post your comments.
NOTE: To determine which digital records are likely to be found within a collection or to find missing images, see, Using Film Notes in the Catalog to determine the content of a final browse point in Historical Records (56000).
NOTE: The three New York State Census collections for 1855, 1865 and 1875 have records mixed in from the other two sets of census years because, in some cases, the three census sets are located on the same rolls of microfilm.
NOTE: Many towns are missing the first set of census pages. Check the end of an adjacent town browse point in the same county to locate the missing census pages.
Question #1: Some records are missing. Where can the records be viewed?
Answer #1: See answers below for information about known missing records and respective film numbers, if available, or alternate online location:
- Page 1 of Monroe > Clarkston census is found in Monroe > Brighton, E.D. 02 > Image 39 of 39.
- In Oneida County, towns alphabetically from Clark to Marcy are not available online or on microfilm. The records appear to be missing.
- Page 1 of Warren > Bolton census is missing. Order Film 474180.
- All the towns in Warren County are missing the first set of census pages. With the exception of Page 1 of Bolton County, the missing pages can be found at the end of an adjacent town browse point. A small set of examples are listed below:
- - Pages 1-7 of Warren > Luzerne census are found in Warren > Johnsburg E.D. 02 > Images 24-27 of 27.
- - Pages 1-7 of Warren > Stony Creek, E.D. 16 census are found in Warren > Queensbury, E.D. 03 > Images 40-43 of 43.
- - Pages 1-7 of Warren > Queensbury E. D. 01 census are found in Warren > Luzerne > Images 24-27 of 27. Page 1 appears after Page 4.
- - Pages 1-7 of Warren > Queensbury, E.D. 02 census are found in Warren > Queensbury, E.D. 01 > Images 21-24 of 24.
- - Pages 1-7 of Warren > Queensbury, E.D. 03 census are found in Warren > Queensbury, E.D. 02 > Images 28-31 of 31.
- - Pages 1-7 of Warren > Queensbury, E.D. 04 census are found in Warren > Stony Creek, E.D. 16 > Images 22-25 of 25.
- - Pages 1-3 of Warren > Thurman census are found in Warren > Queensbury, E.D. 04 > Images 28-30 of 30.
- - Pages 1-5 of Warren > Warrensburg census are found in Warren > Thurman > Images 21-23 of 23.
- A similar problem also occurs in the towns of Essex and Oneida Counties. The missing pages can be found at the end of an adjacent town browse point. A small set of examples are listed below:
- - Pages 1-7 of Essex > Willsborough census are found at Essex > Willsborough > Images 26-28 of 28 and Essex > Westport > Images 40-41 of 41.
- - Pages 1-3 of Essex > Wilmington census are found in Essex > Willsborough > Images 28-29 of 29.
- - Page 1 of Oneida > Annsville, E.D. 02 is found in Oneida > Annsville, E.D. 01 > Image 65 of 65.
- - Page 1 of Oneida > Bridgewater is found in Oneida > Boonville, E.D. 03 > Image 35 of 35.
- In Ulster County, towns with names starting with letters N-Z are not available online or on microfilm. Contact the county clerk's office to ascertain their availability.
Question #2: The record detail page is linked to the wrong image. How can I find the correct image?
Answer #2: From the record detail page, use either the Event Date, Event Place, or Film Number, or a combination of any of the search criteria, to find the correct image by clicking the right or left scroll arrow. Also, check the end of an adjacent town browse point in the same county to locate the correct census page. See answers below for information about affected films:
- Films 1435183 and 1435184 Oneida County census records.
- Film 474180 Warren County Census records.
- Film 866322 Essex County census records.
Question #3: Some indexed records have name, event place or date errors. How can I determine the correct information?
Answer #3: View the document to verify the correct information. The event place and date can also be checked by searching the Catalog using the film number included in the record detail page. See Finding microfilm numbers in the catalog (55632). A list of known problems below provides correct indexing information:
- Monroe > Brighton, E.D. 02 > Image 39 of 39 includes Page 1 of the Town of Clarkston in Monroe County. Record detail pages with the Event Place: Brighton, Monroe, New York, United States, and Digital Folder Number: 004327111, Image Number: 00090 should be listed as Event Place: Clarkson, Monroe, New York, United States.
If additional problems are encountered with the collection, you can report them at email@example.com.
- If searching the collection: please include the name of the collection, and all search criteria used, including name, event, dates and places.
- If browsing the collection: please include the full browse path you used to get to where the problem occurred. The browse path is located above the image viewer window.
For example: New York, State Census 1875 > Albany > Albany, Ward 01, E.D. 01 > Image 1 of 70.
- For technical issues: please include operating system and browser version.
Return to the New York, State Census, 1875 (FamilySearch Historical Records) Learn More page.
Return to the New York, State Census, 1875 collection at FamilySearch.org.
- This page was last modified on 8 July 2015, at 18:34.
- This page has been accessed 683 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News