New York, State Census, 1875 (FamilySearch Historical Records)/Known IssuesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
| This page was created by FamilySearch Historical Records personnel. It details problems identified within this collection and answers to those problems.
If you wish to comment, please visit the discussion page to post your comments.
Question #1: Why are there records from the 1855 census found in this collection?
Answer #1: When these records were filmed, records from the 1855, 1865 and 1875 census were copied onto the same rolls of microfilm. All three New York State Census collections have records from other years occasionally mixed in.
Question #2: When I click on View Image I am directed to the wrong image. How can I view the correct image?
Answer #2: Note the page number listed on the record details page to see if it matches the page number on the image that comes up. If not, scroll forward or backward a few images until you find the correct page match.
Question #3: There seems to be missing pages in some of the browse points in this Collection. Can you give some help in finding them?
Answer #3: There appears to be a problem with shifting of images when some of these records were loaded, or even records recorded out of order causing them to be loaded incorrectly into the browse points. The missing images are often found in surrounding browse points or even at the end of the locality in question. For instance:
- In Essex County – pages 1-5 are missing in the front of the Willsborough browse point. By searching through this and surrounding browse points we were able to locate pages 1-4 at the end of the Willsborough browse point on images 26-28. Page 5 was located at the end of the Westport browse point on image 44.
- Page 1 of the Clarkson locality in Monroe County is at the end of the Brighton E.D. 02 browse point in Monroe County located on image 39 .
- The images in Warren County have not been separated correctly by locality in some cases. For instance Images 24-27 located in the Warren > Johnsburg E.D. 02 browse point are pages 1-4 of the Luzerne locality. At the end of the Luzerne browse point, images 24-27 are pages 3-7 of Queensbury E. D. 01.
If you can tell there are missing images or incorrect images in a locality, you might want to check in adjoining browse points to see if they are misplaced.
Question #4: I am looking for the town of Florence in Oneida County. Are these records available?
Answer #4: The towns alphabetically from Clark to Marcy in Oneida County are not available either online or by microfilm. The records appear to be missing.
Question #5: I am looking for the town of Saugerties in Ulster County. Are these records available?
Answer #5: FamilySearch does not have records for towns with names starting with letters N-Z in Ulster County, either online or on microfilm. The original records for the State's pre-1915 census are kept at the county level and are not available at the New York State Library. You may wish to contact the county clerk's office to ascertain their availability and location if you would like to see if the records are available.
If you encounter additional problems with this collection, feel free to report them at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the following information:
- If searching a specific collection: please include the name of the collection; include all search criteria used, including name, event, dates and places.
- If browsing this collection: please include the full path you followed to where the problem occurred. The browse path is located above the Image viewer window.
For example: New York, State Census 1875 > Albany > Albany, Ward 01, E.D. 01 > Image 1 of 70.
- If you are reporting a technical issue: please include your operating system and browser version, such as Windows XP and Internet Explorer.
Your assistance will help ensure that future revisions will be considered.
Return to the New York, State Census, 1875 (FamilySearch Historical Records) Learn More page.
Return to the New York, State Census, 1875 collection at FamilySearch.org.
- This page was last modified on 16 October 2013, at 17:55.
- This page has been accessed 264 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More