New York, State Census, 1892 (FamilySearch Historical Records)/Known IssuesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
| This page was created by FamilySearch Historical Records personnel. It details problems identified within this collection and answers to those problems.
If you wish to comment, please visit the talk page to post your comments.
NOTE: The collection includes some New York State Census records for 1905 and 1915. Entire films which contain censuses for multiple years were inadvertently placed online and indexed. In some cases, the 1892 census records are not online. Search the Catalog by keyword for “New York State Census” and the county to find the film which contains the year needed. View the image from the record detail page to confirm the date.
NOTE: To determine which digital records are likely to be found within a collection or to find missing images, see, Using Film Notes in the Catalog to determine the content of a final browse point in Historical Records (56000).
Question #1: Some records are missing. Where can the records be viewed?
Answer #1: See answers below for information about known missing records and their respective film numbers, if available, or alternate online location:
- Cattaraugus County: towns with names starting with N-Z are not available online. Film 584495 contains all the census records for Cattaraugus County.
Question #2: Some indexed records have been attributed to the wrong place or with incorrect dates. How can I determine the correct census information?
Answer #2: The event place and date can be checked by viewing the image or the Catalog section containing the film notes. Search the Catalog using the film number included in the record detail page. A list of known problems below provides correct indexing information:
- Some record detail pages with Event Place: State Asylum for Insane Criminals, Auburn, Cayuga, New York should be Event Place: Orphan Asylum for Destitute Children, Auburn, Cayuga, New York. View the film to confirm the locality.
- Oswego > Onrell, E.D. 1 or the Event Place: Onrell, , 01, Oswego, New York should be spelled Orwell.
Question #3: The record detail page is linked to the wrong image. How can I find the correct image?
Answer #3: From the record detail page, use either the Event Place, Film Number or Family Number information, or a combination of any of the search criteria, to find the correct image by clicking the right or left scroll arrow.
If additional problems are encountered with the collection, you can report them at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If searching the collection: please include the name of the collection, and all search criteria used, including name, event, dates and places.
- If browsing the collection: please include the full browse path you used to get to where the problem occurred. The browse path is located above the image viewer window.
For example: New York, State Census, 1892 > Niagara > Hartland, E.D. 03 > Image 12 of 13.
- For technical issues: please include operating system and browser version.
Return to the New York 1892 State Census (FamilySearch Historical Records) Learn More page.
Return to the New York, State Census, 1892 collection at FamilySearch.org.
- This page was last modified on 3 August 2015, at 21:01.
- This page has been accessed 2,094 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News