New York GazetteersEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
- 1813: Spafford, Horatio Gates. Gazetteer of the State of New York. Albany, N.Y.: H.C. Southwick, 1813. Film 808351 item 4. The 1824 edition was reprinted as 1824 Gazetteer of New York State. Interlaken, New York; Heart of the Lakes, 1981; FHL Book 974.7 E5s; Film 543662 item 6. Available online through FamilySearch Catalog link.
- 1842: Disturnell, John. A gazetteer of the state of New York: comprising its topography, geology, mineralogical resources, civil divisions, canals, railroads and public institutions; together with general statistics; the whole alphabetically arranged. Albany, N.Y.: Disturnell, 1842. FHL Film 982372 Item 4. Available online through FamilySearch Catalog link.
- 1860: French, John Homer. Gazetteer of the State of New York. Eighth Edition. Syracuse, N.Y.: R. Pearsall Smith, 1860. FHL Book 974.7 E5f; Film 930129; Fiche 6046699. Includes dates of settlement, early settlers, newspapers, geographical features, schools, churches, and industries. An index of personal names is Frank Place, II, compiler, Index of Persons and Names in J. H. French's Gazetteer of the State of New York (1860) (Cortland, N.Y.: The Cortland County Historical Society, 1983; FHL Book 974.7 E5f index 1983; 1962 edition on fiche FHL Fiche 6051206). The 1983 edition of the index has a Supplementary Index to Place-Names. Available online through FamilySearch Catalog link.
- 1990: Omni Gazetteer of the United States of America: A Guide to 1,500,000 Place-Names in the United States and Territories. 11 Volumes. Detroit, Mich.: Omnigraphics, Incorporated, 1990. FHL Reference Book 973 E5o. Volume two includes New York. This book lists cities, towns, parks, bodies of water, cemeteries, churches, and other physical features from the U.S. Geological Survey's database, giving latitude and longitude coordinates.
- This page was last modified on 17 September 2014, at 23:42.
- This page has been accessed 3,166 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More