New Zealand PeriodicalsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
New Zealand Periodicals
A periodical is a regularly published magazine, newsletter, or journal. Many genealogical societies and historical organizations in New Zealand publish magazines, newsletters and genealogical periodicals. Some of their content is devoted to compiled genealogies of Maori families. They are also an excellent place to publish queries or advertisements for a lost ancestor from New Zealand. Articles in these magazines often include:
- Family genealogies and pedigrees.
- Transcripts of church records, migration lists, and cemetery records.
- Helpful articles on research methods and strategies.
- Information about local records, archives, and services.
- Book, fiche and compact disc product advertisements and reviews.
- Advertisements for research services.
Queries or requests for information about specific ancestors that can help you contact other interested researchers.
Some major examples are:
The New Zealand Genealogist. Auckland, New Zealand: The New Zealand Society of Genealogists Inc. (Family History Library book 993.1 B2na.) This journal contains articles on research methodology in New Zealand, as well as the British Isles, articles of genealogical interest, book reviews, queries and other items of interest. There is a general yearly index published which includes an index to member queries.
Grinz Yearbook. 1986-. Published by the Genealogical Research Institute of New Zealand (GRINZ). (Family History Library book 993.1 D25gy.) This yearbook offers scholarly articles on research methodology and book reviews.
Copies of periodicals are available from the local societies that publish them. Major archives with genealogical collections will have copies of periodicals, particularly those representing the area they serve.
For a listing of all periodicals available for New Zealand, see:
Periodicals in Print: Australia, New Zealand, and Papua New Guinea, 14th edition. Port Melbourne, Victoria, Australia: D. W. Thorpe, 1997. (Family History Library Book 994 A35a 1997.) This book lists all published periodicals, not just those specific to genealogy.
The Family History Library subscribes to numerous periodicals. These are listed in the FamilySearch Catalog in several ways. If you know the title of a periodical, search the Author/Title section of the FamilySearch Catalog on fiche. To find periodicals in the Place Search of the FamilySearch Catalog on computer. use the following approaches:
NEW ZEALAND - PERIODICALS
NEW ZEALAND - GENEALOGY - PERIODICALS
NEW ZEALAND - HISTORY - PERIODICALS
NEW ZEALAND - SOCIETIES
Also see New Zealand Societies.
- National Library of New Zealand: Index New Zealand- http://www.natlib.govt.nz/catalogues/innz
- National Library of New Zealand: New Zealand Articles - http://www.natlib.govt.nz/catalogues/find-nz-articles
- New Zealand Electronic Text Centre - http://www.nzetc.org/tm/scholarly/tei-GriBook-_div3-N1204E.html
- This page was last modified on 25 July 2014, at 16:12.
- This page has been accessed 1,205 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page