Newcastle under Lyme, StaffordshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Newcastle under Lyme, Staffordshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Newcastle under Lyme, Staffordshire|
|Hundred||Newcastle Under Lyme|
|Poor Law Union||Newcastle under Lyme PLU|
|Registration District||Newcastle under Lyme|
|Parish registers: 1563|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1662|
|Rural Deanery||Newcastle under Lyme|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Staffordshire Record Office|
Newcastle under Lyme is an Ecclesiastical Parish and a market town in the county of Staffordshire, created in 1849 from chapelry in Stoke upon Trent Ancient Parish. Non-Church of England denominations identified in Newcastle under Lyme include: Baptist, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Independent/Congregational, Methodist New Connexion, Particular Baptist, Plymouth Brethren, Presbyterian, Primitive Methodist, Roman Catholic, Unitarian, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Newcastle under Lyme St Giles was formed in 1807 formerly a chapelry of Stoke upon Trent, Staffordshire
Newcastle under Lyme St Giles parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BIVRI = British Isles Vital Records Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|FMP = Staffordshire Parish Register Collection (findmypast) - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS = FamilySearch - free|
|NBI = National Burial Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|NEWCASTLE UNDER LYME PARISH (1563) Online Records|
Deposited parish registers at Staffordshire Record Office Bap 1563- 1965 Mar 1563-1982 Bur 1563-1872
Lichfield Record Office holdings of Bishop's Transcripts Bap 1663-1864 Mar 1663-1842 Bur 1663-1804 missing Bap/Bur 1837/8 and 1861/3
Newcastle under Lyme Holy Trinity Roman Catholic parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|NEWCASTLE UNDER LYME HOLY TRINITY ROMAN CATHOLIC Online Records|
Knutton chapelry registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|KNUTTON CHAPELRY Online Records|
Many of Staffordshire's Parish Register entries have been transcribed in full by Staffordshire Freereg and can be searched for free.
- 1532/3 - A List of Families in Newcastle under Lyme, Staffordshire 1532/3 FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474632.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Staffordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ http://maps.familysearch.org/
- ↑ 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 11 September 2013.
- ↑ 'Staffordshire Parish Records Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 23 July 2014.
- ↑ 'Staffordshire Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 17 September 2013.
- ↑ 'IGI Batch Numbers for Stafford (N-Z), England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 23 September 2013.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 8 September 2013.
- ↑ Ann J. Kettle, A List of Families in the Archdeaconry of Stafford, 1532-3 (Stafford: Staffordshire Record Society, 1976). FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
- This page was last modified on 15 November 2014, at 21:48.
- This page has been accessed 3,041 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page