Newenden, KentEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Newenden, Kent family history and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Newenden St+Peter Kent
|Poor Law Union||Tenterden PLU|
|Parish registers: 1559|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1567|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Canterbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent Record Office|
Newenden is a village and civil parish in the Ashford district of Kent , see Newenden Wikipedia
Newenden St Peter is an Ancient Parish in Kent; part of the parish boundary forms part of the county boundary with neighbours Northiam, Sussex and Beckley, Sussex A map of the parish boundary is available at A church near you
The Parish church of St Peter, Beech Road, Newenden, has been designated as a grade II* listed building British listed building
See Edward Hasted 'The township and parish of Newenden', The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 7 (1798), pp. 163-172. Date accessed: 9 September 2013. at British History Online which records the Roman and Saxon history and also describes the manorial history of Lossenham and the 13th century Carmelite Priory there. Hasted describes Newenden as a township.
Kent County Council (KCC) has a certificate centre at the Mansion House in Tunbridge Wells which holds all the completed registers for Kent since 1 July 1837 and can supply a certified copy of any Kent birth, death or marriage entry from any register within its custody or a Kent civil partnership registration from the government online database.
The Mansion House
Grove Hill Road
Kent TN1 1EP
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Newenden parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|NEWENDEN PARISH (1559) Online Records|
Images for Newenden available at FamilySearch Records see England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments (FamilySearch Historical Records) 1780-1832
FamilySearch Records includes collections of census indexes which can be searched online for free. In addition FamilySearch Centres offer free access to images of the England and Wales Census through FHC Portal Computers here have access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
 to locate local Family History Centres in UK
 to locate outside UK.
Many archives and local history collections in public libraries in England and Wales offer online census searches and also hold microfilm or fiche census returns.
Images of the census for 1841-1891 can be viewed in census collections at Ancestry (fee payable) or Find My Past (fee payable)
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Local Family History Centre
- FHC Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate (FamilySearch Historical Records) and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments (FamilySearch Historical Records) means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view these
Maps and Gazetteers
NEWENDEN LIBERTY (St. Peter), a parish, partly in the hundred of Selbrittenden, and partly exempt from any hundred, in the union of Tenterden, Lower division of the lathe of Scray, W. division of Kent, 5½ miles (S. W. by S.) from Tenterden. 
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- ↑ 'Canterbury baptism records coverage', Find My Past, accessed 11 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Canterbury burial records coverage', Find My Past, accessed 14 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Kent Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 6 November 2013.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Kent, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 12 March 2012.
- ↑ Edmund Jermyn, The Register of Newenden, Co. Kent (London: The Parish Register Society, 1897). Digitised by Internet Archive.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Kent, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 15 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Mid-Kent Marriage Index 1754-1911,' Woodchurch Ancestry Group, accessed 16 January 2014.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - Coverage', The Genealogist, accessed 27 September 2013.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 389-393. Date accessed: 22 April 2013.
- This page was last modified on 4 June 2014, at 14:36.
- This page has been accessed 1,272 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki