Newington next Hythe, Kent GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Newington next Hythe, Kent ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Newington next Hythe, Kent|
|Poor Law Union||Elham PLU|
|Parish registers: 1559|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1563|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Canterbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent Record Office|
Newington-Shepway is a civil parish in Newington village situated west north west of Folkestone in Kent in the Shepway district of Kent, see Newington-Shepway Wikipedia and which includes the Ancient Parish of Newington next Hythe St Nicholas. A map of the ecclesiastical parish boundary may be found at A church near you
The Parish church of Newington St Nicholas has been designated as a grade II* listed building British listed building
See Kent Archaeological Society and Edward Hasted The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 8 (1799), pp. 197-210. Date accessed: 9 September 2013. at British History Online and Kent Churches website
Kent County Council (KCC) has a certificate centre at the Mansion House in Tunbridge Wells which holds all the completed registers for Kent since 1 July 1837 and can supply a certified copy of any Kent birth, death or marriage entry from any register within its custody or a Kent civil partnership registration from the government online database.
The Mansion House
Grove Hill Road
Kent TN1 1EP
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Newington next Hythe, Kent Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|FMP = FindMyPast - (£)|
|Newington next Hythe, Kent Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Images for Newington next Hythe are available at FamilySearch Records see England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments (FamilySearch Historical Records) 1780-1831
Images for Aldington, Hurst, Newington and West Hythe are available at FamilySearch Records see England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments (FamilySearch Historical Records) 1780-1831
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 306873.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Local Family History Centre
- FHC Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate (FamilySearch Historical Records) and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments (FamilySearch Historical Records) means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view these
Maps and Gazetteers
NEWINGTON-NEXT-HYTHE (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Elham, hundred of Folkestone, lathe of Shepway, E. division of Kent, 2½ miles (N. E. by N.) from Hythe. 
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Canterbury baptism records coverage', Find My Past, accessed 11 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Canterbury marriage records coverage', Find My Past, accessed 14 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Canterbury burial records coverage', Find My Past, accessed 14 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Kent Parish registers collection 1538 on Familyrelatives.com,' Family Relatives, accessed 12 March 2012. Derived from Phillimore Marriage Indexes. Perhaps Newington-next-Sittingbourne
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 394-398. Date accessed: 22 April 2013.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- This page was last modified on 29 June 2015, at 14:09.
- This page has been accessed 4,122 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News