Newton County, MississippiEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Newton County Mississippi genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Newton County, Mississippi|
Location in the state of Mississippi
Location of Mississippi in the U.S.
|Founded||25 February, 1836|
|Address|| Newton County Courthouse]|
PO Box 68
Decatur, MS 39327
Newton County Courthouse]
For animated maps illustrating Mississippi county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Mississippi County Boundary Maps" (1785-1918) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
1877, 1910--Some records were lost. For a list of record loss in Mississippi counties see: Mississippi Counties with Burned Courthouses
- Newton County Mississippi: a cemetery census Contains 1782-1995 and Includes indexes.
For tips on accessing Newton County, Mississippi census records online, see: Mississippi Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Mississippi denominations, view the Mississippi Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Mississippi Land and Property for additional information about early Mississippi land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Newton County, Mississippi. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Mississippi Local Histories.
- Maps of Mississippi (1785-1918)
- Family Maps of Newton County, Mississippi (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- Men from Newton County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Newton County.
- - 1st Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry Reserves
- Company D - Hunter’s Company
- - 2nd Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company B - Newton Rangers
- - 3rd Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- Company D - Chunkey Heroes
- - 8th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- Company B - Pinckney Guards [also listed as Co. I]
- - Perrin's Battalion, Mississippi State Cavalry
- Company E - Rayburn’s Company
- 1900-1979 Military records, 1900-1979
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Newton County, Mississippi newspapers in online catalogs like:
Mississippi tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Mississippi Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. Mississippi law did not require keeping birth or death records until 1912. Births and deaths are kept by the Mississippi Bureau of Vital Statistics. Marriage records are kept by the county. See also How to order Mississippi Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Mississippi Vital Records for more information on getting Mississippi records.
- 1872-1916 - Newton County Marriage Books 1-3 and A-F Index 1872-1916 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
- [1917-1952 Marriage records, 1917-1952
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
|Centers provide: • Personal one-on-one assistance • Access to genealogical records through the Internet or microfilm loan program • Free how-to classes (varies by location). See Family History Centers for more information.|
- Newton County, MS History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Mississippi Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Mississippi Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Newton County, Mississippi page 381, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/b/be/Igimississippij.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 25 September 2014, at 17:17.
- This page has been accessed 6,328 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki