Newtown (near Newbury), HampshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Newtown (near Newbury), Hampshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Newtown (near Newbury), Hampshire|
|Poor Law Union||Newbury PLU|
|Parish registers: 1666; For more records see Burghclere|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1780|
|Probate Court||Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and Archdeaconry of Winchester|
|Location of Archive|
|Hampshire Record Office|
NEWTOWN-NEAR-NEWBURY, a village and a parish in the district of Newbury and county of Hants. The village stands on the river Enbourne at the boundary with Berks, 2 miles S by E of Newbury railroad station; and has a post-office under Newbury..
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Newtown (near Newbury), Hampshire parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|FMP = FindMyPast - (£)|
|GENUKI = GENUKI - free|
|PALL = Pallot's Marriage Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|PRTS = The Parish Register Transcription Society - (£)|
|NEWTOWN (NEAR NEWBURY) PARISH Online Records|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 288796.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Hampshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it.|
- ↑ John M. Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1870. Date accessed: 9 June 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Over 1.4 million new Hampshire parish records published', Find My Past, accessed 3 October 2013. Date ranges are not clearly identified.
- ↑ Phillimore Hampshire Parish Marriage Registers, Vol. 8 (1900). Digital version at GENUKI - free.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - Coverage', The Parish Register Transcription Society, accessed 2 October 2013.
- This page was last modified on 15 November 2014, at 21:39.
- This page has been accessed 1,844 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page