Nodaway County, MissouriEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Nodaway County Missouri genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Nodaway County, Missouri|
Location of Missouri in the U.S.
|Founded||January 2, 1841|
|Address|| Nodaway County Courthouse|
305 N Main Street
Maryville, MO 64468-0218
Nodaway County Website
Clerk Circuit Court has marriage and divorce records from 1845;
Probate Court has probate records
For animated maps illustrating Missouri county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Missouri County Boundary Maps" (1804-1889) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Missouri counties see: Missouri Counties with Burned Courthouses
- The State Historical Society of Missouri has information on historical Missouri place names for all 114 Missouri Counties.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Missouri denominations, view the Missouri Church Records wiki page.
- 1862-1876 - Delores, Ravenwood, Baptism Index 1862-1876. Batch C515011 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1868-1885 - Delores, Ravenwood, Marriage Index 1868-1885. Batch M515011 at FamilySearch - free.
St. Columban, Conception
- 1858-1876 - St. Columban, Conception, Baptism Index 1858-1876. Batch C511861 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1860-1885 - St. Columban, Conception, Marriage Index 1860-1885. Batch M511861 at FamilySearch - free.
St. Mary, Maryville
- 1869-1876 - St. Mary, Maryville, Baptism Index 1874-1875. Batch C511871 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1870-1882 - St. Mary, Maryville, Marriage Index 1870-1882. Batch M511871 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1871-1894 - Graham Presbyterian Church Baptism Index 1871-1894. Batch C530941 at FamilySearch - free.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Missouri Land and Property for information about records of land transfers from the government to private ownership. After that transfer, transactions were usually recorded and are currently housed at the county courthouse.
Local histories are available for Nodaway County, Missouri. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the Wiki page section Missouri Local Histories.
A Biographical History of Nodaway and Atchison counties, Missouri compendium of national biography (1901) is available online free from Google Books. Part I contains biographies of national celebrities. Part II (starts on p.219) contains biographies of Atchison and Nodaway county residents.
- The University of Missouri Digital Library has digital copies of Missouri county plat books (ca. 1930) for all Missouri counties including Nodaway County. The city of St. Louis is not included in this collection.
- - Kimball's Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia 6 months (Union), Company H
:- 3rd Provisional Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union)Edit , Company K
:- 36th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company A
:- 36th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company B
:- 36th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company C
:- 36th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company D
:- 36th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company E
:- 36th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company F
:- 36th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company G
:- 36th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company H
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Nodaway County, Missouri newspapers in online catalogs like:
- The Maryville Daily Forum (Maryville, Missouri) at Ancestry.com ($)
In Missouri, probate records have usually been recorded by the clerks of the probate courts, but in some counties the common pleas or circuit courts handled this function. They are frequently indexed.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Missouri Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths. For additional guidance on researching and using vital records, see United States Vital Records or How to order Missouri Vital Records.
St. Louis and Kansas City recorded births and deaths starting as early as 1850 for deaths and 1870 for births. The Missouri Department of Health began keeping birth and death records in 1909. County records vary by year and the county. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Missouri Vital Records State Department of Health, the County Clerk's office or order electronically online.
- 1886-1929 - Nodaway County Birth Index, Volumes B, C, and P, 1886-1929 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
- 1845-1882 - Nodaway County Marriage Index 1845-1882. Batch M515521 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1881-1885 - Nodaway County Marriage Index 1881-1885. Batch M515522 at FamilySearch - free.
- Nodaway County, Missouri Marriages: 1845-1874 at Ancestry.com ($)
- Missouri State Archives provides on-line access to Missouri Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
- 1883-1893 - Nodaway County Death Index, Volume A, 1883-1893. Batch B515529 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1886-1929 - Nodaway County Death Index, Volume C, 1886-1929. Batch B515527 at FamilySearch - free.
Genealogy Societies, Archives and Libraries
The Nodaway County Historical Society
110 N. Walnut, Box 324
Maryville, MO 64468
Phone: (660) 582-8176
Family History Centers
Centers provide: • Personal one-on-one assistance • Access to genealogical records through the Internet or microfilm loan program • Free how-to classes (varies by location). See Family History Centers for more information.
- Maryville Missouri Family History Center 1721 S Munn Ave, Maryville, MO 64468-2759 United States Location Map
Maryvile Public Library
509 N. Main St.
Maryville, Missouri 64468
Phone: (660) 582-5281
Check back often with these websites. Internet offerings are growing at record rates.
Local societies and libraries may know of other websites.
Sites with online indexes or images of records Missouri Digital Heritage Free digital images of many types of records from institutions across the State MOGenWeb Free Data may be submitted by individuals or complete transcriptions USGenWeb Archives Free Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions Sites that search for links pertaining to Nodaway County, Missouri RootsWeb resources Free Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions Linkpendium Free Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($) CyndisList Free Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($) StateofUS Free family history resources and government records Major catalogs for hard copy collections of Nodaway County, Missouri
Books, microfilm, or manuscripts of genealogical records
FamilySearch catalog Select topics. To select towns, add a comma to the search box. WorldCat To find nearby libraries that have specific items, see WorldCat Online Catalog. Allen County Public Library located in Indiana They are heavily involved in digitizing. Missouri State Archives Library catalog; from this page you must search "Nodaway County" See also local libraries and Missouri Archives and Libraries Social networking sites pertaining to Nodaway County, Missouri Google+ Missouri Genealogy Network Community list of groups from "Missouri Genealogy" search genealogy.com Nodaway County, MO Genealogy Forum ancestry.com Nodaway County Message Board
- Nodaway County, Missouri Wills and Administrations 1845-1880 at Ancestry.com ($)
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Nodaway County, Missouri. Page 403 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 3.11 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/d/d8/Igimissourij.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 10 July 2014, at 17:25.
- This page has been accessed 6,297 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki