North Carolina BiographyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
North Carolina Library
University of North Carolina
University of North Carolina's North Carolina Collection Biographical Index contains citations to biographical sketches about North Carolinians. Over five hundred volumes, primarily from the North Carolina Collection and other libraries at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, have been indexed to date.
Representative biographical encyclopedias are:
- Ashe, Samuel A’Court, ed. Biographical History of North Carolina from Colonial Times to the Present. 9 vols. (Greensboro, North Carolina: Charles L. Van Noppen, 1905–17.) At various libraries (WorldCat), FHL films 1421670 item 9 (first of 9), book 975.6 D3a. Eight volumes and film 1425698 item 10 is an index to volumes 1–8.
- Powell, William S. Dictionary of North Carolina Biography. 6 vols. (Chapel Hill, North Carolina: University of North Carolina Press, 1979–96.) At various libraries (WorldCat), FHL book 975.6 D36d) The biographies in this source are alphabetical.
Family History Library
The Family History Library has many volumes containing biographical sketches of residents of North Carolina. For an index, see Donald Hehir’s Carolina Families: A Bibliography of Books about North and South Carolina Families (Bowie, Maryland) At various libraries (WorldCat), FHL book 975.6 D23hd
To find biographies and published family histories on specific surnames in the FamilySearch Catalog, use a Last Names Search. Using the available filters will help to limit the search.
The Family History Library has many collected biographies and local county histories with biographical sketches of residents. These can be found in the FamilySearch Catalog by using a Place Search under:
- NORTH CAROLINA- BIOGRAPHY
- NORTH CAROLINA, [COUNTY] BIOGRAPHY
- This page was last modified on 25 July 2014, at 16:12.
- This page has been accessed 4,168 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page