North Cray, KentEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to North Cray, Kent family history and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|North Cray, Kent|
North Cray St James Kent
|Poor Law Union||Bromley PLU|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1718|
|Diocese||Pre-1845 - Rochester; Post-1844 - Canterbury|
|Probate Court||Pre-1845 - Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and Archdeaconry of Rochester; Post-1844 - Prerogative Court of the Archbishop of Canterbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent Record Office|
CRAY, NORTH (St. James), a parish, in the union of Bromley, hundred of Ruxley, lathe of Sutton-atHone, W. division of Kent, 1 mile (N. by E.) from Foot's-Cray. 
North Cray is a place in the London Borough of Bexley which was previously a civil parish see North Cray Wikipedia for further history.
North Cray St James is an Ancient Parish which united with the ancient parish of Ruxley in 1557 see Ruxley Northwest Kent Family History Society
The Parish Church of St James North Cray Road has been designated as a grade II listed building British listed building
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
North Cray, Kent parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|North Cray, Kent Parish Online Records|
|FS BTs||1718-1721, 1744, 1806-1903||1718-1721, 1744, 1806-1903||1718-1721, 1744, 1806-1903|
|FS PRs||1538-1880||1538-1881; 1755-1783 (banns)||1538-1881|
Bexley Local Studies and Archive Centre is the Diocesan Record Office for all the Church of England Parishes within the London Borough of Bexley. Reference PA102 St James', North Cray 1538-1992
Images for North Cray are available at FamilySearch Records see England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments (FamilySearch Historical Records) 1780-1831
Images are derived from Kent Archives 1987 microfilm
Land tax assessments for North Cray, 1780-1831 Family History Library BRITISH Film 1469937 Item 1
FamilySearch Records includes collections of census indexes which can be searched online for free. In addition FamilySearch Centres offer free access to images of the England and Wales Census through FHC Portal Computers here have access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
 to locate local Family History Centres in UK
 to locate outside UK.
Many archives and local history collections in public libraries in England and Wales offer online census searches and also hold microfilm or fiche census returns.
Images of the census for 1841-1891 can be viewed in census collections at Ancestry (fee payable) or Find My Past (fee payable)
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Local Family History Centre
Orpington Family History Centre, Kent is within the London Borough of Bromley, located adjacent to Orpington Station and on major bus routes through the borough.
- FHC Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate (FamilySearch Historical Records) and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments (FamilySearch Historical Records) means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view these collections using the portal.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 717-720. Date Accessed: 22 July 2013.
- ↑ 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 7 November 2013.
- ↑ 'England, Kent, Bishop's Transcripts, 1560-1911,' FamilySearch, accessed 11 November 2013.
- ↑ 'England, Kent, Parish Registers, 1538-1911,' FamilySearch, accessed 13 November 2013.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Kent, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 13 November 2013.
- ↑ Kent Online Parish Clerks, accessed 20 November 2013.
- This page was last modified on 1 June 2014, at 17:41.
- This page has been accessed 2,096 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki