North Dakota: Norwegian SettlementsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The Norwegian immigrants arrived in North Dakota in the1870's. They settled in the eastern and northern parts of the state. Because of the lack of farmland in Norway, the Norwegian immigrants sought the wonderful fertile farmland of North Dakota. Some of the immigrants had spent a few years in other states before they finally arrived in North Dakota. In 1880 the census recorded 8,814 Norwegians in North Dakota, and by 1900 there were 73,744.
From: Fred Hultstrand History in Pictures Collection, Fargo
GRAND FORKS COUNTY CEMETERIES:
Bethel Lutheran Cemetery:
Lind Township: Olson "unknown" cemetery
Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections
in the Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota, actively documents Norwegian heritage in North Dakota. Personal papers of Norwegian Americans and organizational records are located in the Orin G. Libby Manuscript Collection. The Family History Room contains the Arne G. Brekke Bygdebok Collection and many other resources about emigration and settlement of Norwegians in North Dakota and elsewhere.
http://www.augie.edu/cws/ Augustana College, The Center for Western Studies. The Center is historically a Norwegian American center, and houses collections relating to the Norwegian American presence in North Dakota.
Norwegian American periodical and serials also found at the Center:
Norwegian-American Studies (1926-1979)
Sons of Norway (1922-1967)
Sons of Norway Viking (1968-1984)
Bismarck - Mandan Historical & Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 485
- Cass County Historical Society
1351 Main Ave W
West Fargo 58078-1321
- Cavalier County Historical Society
- Crosby Historical Society
- Dunn County Historical Society
Dunn Center 58626
- Edmore Historical Society
PO Box 111
- Glen Ullin Historical Society
P.O. Box 681
Glen Ullin 58631
- Grand Forks County Historical Society
2405 Belmont Rd
Grand Forks 58201-7505
- Mandan Historical Society
P.O. Box 483
- Minnkota Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 12744
Grand Forks 58208-2744
- Red River Valley Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 9284
- Richland County Historical Society
11 - 7th Avenue North
- State Historical Society Of North Dakota
612 East Boulevard Avenue
- Steele County Historical Society
- Walsh County Historical Society
- This page was last modified on 16 December 2010, at 21:27.
- This page has been accessed 3,004 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More