North Dakota GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Most archives, historical societies, and genealogical societies have special collections and indexes of genealogical value. These must usually be searched in person. A notable genealogical collection is the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) Collection. This mixed collection includes cemetery records, church records, genealogies, marriages, deaths, and wills from three counties—Barnes, Burleigh, and Towner. It was microfilmed in 1971 at the DAR Library, Washington, DC, and is at the Family History Library (Family History Library films 859737-40).
Histories of the earliest settlers of North Dakota are in Collections of the State Historical Society of North Dakota, Seven Volumes. (Bismarck, North Dakota: The North Dakota State Historical Society, 1906-1925; Volumes 1-3, 6-7; Family History Library films beginning with film 1697422, volumes 1-7).
A source that lists the names of almost 100,000 French-Canadians who emigrated to the North Central states is Paul J. Lareau and Elmer Courteau,French-Canadian Families of the North Central States: A Genealogical Dictionary, Eight Volumes. (St. Paul, Minnesota: Northwest Territory French and Canadian Heritage Institute, 1980; Family History Library book 973 D2la; fiche 6010503-11).
Writing and Sharing Your Family History
Sharing your own family history is valuable for several reasons:
- It helps you see gaps in your own research and raises opportunities to find new information.
- It helps other researchers progress in researching ancestors you share in common.
- It draws other researchers to you who already have information about your family that you do not yet possess.
- It draws together researchers with common interests, sparking collaboration opportunities. For instance, researchers in various localities might choose to do lookups for each other in remote repositories. Your readers may also share photos of your ancestors that you have never seen before.
- See also:
Web sites for North Dakota Genealogy:
- This page was last modified on 5 June 2013, at 00:12.
- This page has been accessed 4,378 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki