Norwich County Gaol and House of Correction, NorfolkEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Norwich County Gaol and House of Correction, Norfolk|
|Poor Law Union||Norwich PLU|
|Parish registers: For records see surrounding parishes|
|Bishop's Transcripts: For records see surrounding parishes|
|Rural Deanery||Not Applicable|
|Probate Court||Search the courts of the surrounding parishes|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
Pigot's Directory of Norfolk 1830
Page 557: Norwich and Neighbourhood.
"In the parish of Saint Andrew is an old building, formerly used as a prison, but which is now converted into an extensive tobacco and snuff manufactory; this building attracts much notice from the singular construction of its north wall, which is faced with black flints, so admirably squared and regularly put together, as scarcely to admit the edge of a knife between the joints. The new city gaol is situated outside the walls, near St. Giles' gates, and is most admirably constructed and well regulated; the front elevation is massy, and well accords with the purpose for which it is intended; the prison is plentifully supplied with water, by means of a pump attached to the tread-mill; it was erected at an expense of £24,000, and the prisoners in the city bridewell were removed to it on the 18th February, 1829."
Hunt's Directory of East Norfolk with parts of Suffolk 1850
Page 8: Norwich - The Castle.
"The County Gaol and House of Correction, erected in the year 1828, at an expense of £50,000, is a strong commodious building, admirably adapted to fulfil the purposes for which it is set apart, the main body of the gaol is supported by wings containing 240 cells, and the governor's house being in the centre, the whole of the prisoners are more immediately under his surveillance." William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883. Page 38: "There is only one prison for the whole county, the Castle, at Norwich, which, under the Prisons Act, is under the control of the Government. There are lock-ups in most of the places where petty sessions are held. There is a reformatory at Buxton, near Aylsham, and an industrial school for girls at Fakenham."
Maps and Gazeteers
- England Jurisdictions 1851
- Vision of Britain http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/relationships.jsp;jsessionid=7AC77EA2DD23020C80092EF2D9821172?u_id=10218287
- This page was last modified on 4 November 2014, at 22:34.
- This page has been accessed 811 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page