Norwich St Etheldreda, Norfolk GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Norwich St Etheldreda, Norfolk|
|Poor Law Union||Norwich|
|Parish registers: 1665|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1623|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
Norwich St Ethelreda is a round towered Norman church whose bell tower has an octagonal top.
Following the sixteenth century Reformation, the church declined: in 1597 the chancel was described as being "greatly ruinous". By the late nineteenth century the church was dilapidated and all but redundant.
It was thatched until the roof and extensive Victorian remodelling took place in the 1880's but suffered further decline became derelict by the late 1960's and was declared redundant. In the care of the Norwich Historic church Trust it was adapted for use as an artist's studio space with modifications.
Norwich, parl. and mun. bor., city, co.town of Norfolk, and co. in itself, on river Wensum, 20 miles W. of Yarmouth and 114 NE. of London by rail, 7472 ac.
Norwich St Etheldreda, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Norwich St Etheldreda, Norfolk Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Norfolk Record Office reference PD4/1-6,8-10,13
Images of the parish register for this parish are available on FamilySearch but appear under Norwich St Etheldred and several waypoints await engineering correction.
Civil Registration Districts
- registration events post 1837 may be searched online at Free BMD
Poor Law Unions
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438869.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
England Jurisdictions 1851•Vision of Britain
http://www.georgeplunkett.co.uk for historic photographs of the church
Norwich Historic Churches Trust http://www.norwich-churches.org/index.asp
- ↑ John Bartholomew. John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles 1887.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 27 February 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Norfolk, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 20 March 2014.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 8 February 2014.
- ↑ Norfolk Transcription Archive, accessed 15 April 2014.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Baptism Project 1813 to 1880,' Tinstaafl Transcripts, accessed 10 April 2014.
- This page was last modified on 28 May 2015, at 02:17.
- This page has been accessed 2,661 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News