Norwich St Martin at Palace, NorfolkEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Norwich St Martin at Palace, Norfolk|
|Poor Law Union||Norwich PLU|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1608|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
Norwich St Martin at Palace is an Ancient Parish mentioned in the Domesday survey. It was declared redundant and became the Norwich Probation Centre in 1990.
"It is thought that, in early days, merchant ships berthed on the south side of the reiver near to the site of St Martin's church. Their cargo was unloaded onto a gravel terrace called a 'bychel', a large open area which was considerably more attractive in the Georgian period."
Today it is used as offices for Probation services. All the gravestones are gone from the churchyard - those surviving are propped against the back of the church. The western end of the graveyard is now under road.
Norwich St Martin at Palace, Norfolk parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS PRs = England, Norfolk, Parish Registers, 1538-1900 (FamilySearch) - free|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|TIN = Tinstaafl Transcripts - free|
|Norwich St Martin at Palace, Norfolk Parish Online Records|
||1537-1599, 1697-1862|| |
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438869.
Poor Law Unions
- Norwich Poor Law Union
- See also England Norfolk Poor Law Union Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Norfolk Poor Law Unions
- England Jurisdictions 1851
- Cassini Ordnance Survey Map (Incl 1838, 1898-1899, 1922 and present day). www.cassinimaps.com
- History and photographs George Plunkett Website
- St Martin a Palace Plain on Norfolk Churches
- St Martin at Palace on St Martin at Palace Norwich Historic Churches Trust
- 1813 to 1880 Baptism Project Norwich St Martin at Palace (has photos)
<ref>tags exist, but no
<references/>tag was found
- This page was last modified on 14 July 2014, at 01:05.
- This page has been accessed 744 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki