Norwich St Simon and St Jude, NorfolkEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Norwich St Simon and St Jude, Norfolk|
|Poor Law Union||Norwich PLU|
|Parish registers: 1539|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1630|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
Norwich St Simon and St Jude is an Ancient parish in the city.
The twin dedication of St Simon and St Jude is to two Apostles who, according to some accounts, preached the gospel in Persia and were martyred. A church almost certainly stood on this site before the Norman Conquest of 1066.
After becoming redundant, the church was used by the Scouts until 1997. It is in the care of the Norwich Historic Churches Trust.
There are places of worship in the city forBaptists, the Society of Friends,Independents, Wesleyans, the Countess of Huntingdon's Connexion, andUnitarians; a synagogue; and two chapels belonging to theRoman Catholics, one of which is an elegant edifice.
Norwich St Simon and St Jude, Norfolk parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS PRs = England, Norfolk, Parish Registers, 1538-1900 (FamilySearch) - free|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|TIN = Tinstaafl Transcripts - free|
|Norwich St Simon and St Jude, Norfolk Parish Online Records|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438869.
Poor Law Unions
- Norwich Poor Law Union
- See also England Norfolk Poor Law Union Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Norfolk Poor Law Unions
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 446-461. Date accessed: 27 September 2013.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 27 February 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Norfolk, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 20 March 2014.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Baptism Project 1813 to 1880,' Tinstaafl Transcripts, accessed 10 April 2014.
- This page was last modified on 10 April 2014, at 19:11.
- This page has been accessed 689 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki