Oaksey, WiltshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Poor Law Union||Malmesbury PLU|
|Parish registers: 1670|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1605|
|Diocese||Gloucester and Bristol|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Wiltshire|
|Location of Archive|
|Wiltshire Record Office|
OAKSEY (All Saints), a village and parish, in the union and hundred of Malmesbury, Malmesbury and Kingswood, and N. divisions of the county of Wilts, 5½ miles (N. E.) from Malmesbury. The village stands near the Swindon and Gloucester railway. It is 3 miles S E of Akeman-street at the boundary with Gloucestershire, 5¼ N W of Minety railway station. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel.  
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Oaksey, Wiltshire parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|NBI = National Burial Index (FindMyPast) - (£)|
|NIM = Nimrod Research - (£). Results delivered by email.|
|PRTS = The Parish Register Transcription Society - (£)|
|OAKSEY PARISH Online Records|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464199.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Wiltshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 467-469. Date accessed: 07 October 2013.
- ↑ John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, (1870-72)
- ↑ 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 3 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Wiltshire Parish Explorer,' Nimrod Research, accessed 8 January 2014.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - Coverage', The Parish Register Transcription Society, accessed 27 September 2013.
- This page was last modified on 25 June 2014, at 22:07.
- This page has been accessed 641 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki