OhioEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|News and Events|
If you would like to serve as assistant moderator, please contact: a Wiki administrator.
Welcome to Ohio, the Buckeye State
- Online Births 1841-2003; Marriage 1789-1994; Deaths 1908-1953
- Pioneers got OH land from a myriad of grants, tracts, districts and cessions
- County by County in Ohio Genealogy is a free online OH State Library list
|How to Find Information about Ohio Ancestors|
Ohio Historical Society · State Library of Ohio · Ohio Genealogical Society · Western Reserve Historical Society · National Archives Great Lakes Region (Chicago) · Newberry Library · Allen County Public Library
Braddock's Road · Forbes Road · Erie Canal · Great Trail · Kanawha Trail · Lake Erie · Lake Shore Path (or Lake Trail) · Maysville Turnpike · Miami and Erie Canal · Miami Path · National Road (or Cumberland Road) · Ohio and Erie Canal · Ohio River · Pennsylvania and Erie Canal · Scioto Trail · Tennessee, Ohio and Great Lakes Trail · Vincennes-Indianapolis-Detroit Road · Wabash and Erie Canal · Zane's Trace
- Join a community of Ohio researchers! Ask questions, help others, and share your research successes on Facebook. NEW!
- The Ohio GenWeb Project has transcribed census records, tombstones, deed records, local courthouse and government offices, surnames of others researching similar family names, possible ancestor photos, and historical photos.
- Courthouse addresses for all 88 Ohio counties by the Ohio Historical Society.
- Ohio County Creation Dates and Parent Counties lists each county, date formed, and from which county formed.
- Ohio Memory primary sources from all parts of the state in an online scrapbook. Includes 200,000 pages of digital newspapers.
- Ohio Blacksheep Ancestors includes State Penitentiary inmates from Marion County 1834-1875, Lawrence County 1829-1883, Meigs County 1833-1849, and 438 executions in Ohio 1792-1963.
- Global Alliance of Genealogy Professionals Pros to help find your family
Wiki articles describing online collections are found at:
- Ohio Births and Christenings (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Ohio Deaths and Burials (FamilySearchHistorical Records)
- Ohio Tax Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Ohio County Birth Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Ohio County Marriage Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Ohio Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Ohio Cuyahoga County Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Ohio, County Naturalization Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Ohio Death Index (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Ohio Deaths (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Ohio, Stark County Coroner's Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
Did you know?
- There are more people living in the United States with British ancestry than persons presently living in Britain who have British ancestry. Ohio has one of the highest concentrations of people with Welsh ancestry.
- The Stark County Ohio District Library has an impressive Genealogy division. Online histories, newspaper indexes, index to pedigree files, and a number of obituary indexes are available. You can also email the library for specific genealogical questions.
Obtain additional help
- Call or chat with an experienced researcher
- Join a Facebook Group
- Consult a Professional Genealogist
To add your knowledge and help expand the wiki click here
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "Historical Records Collection - Ohio" in FamilySearch at http://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/list#page=1&countryId=43 (accessed 11 February 2012).
- ↑ Wikipedia contributors, "Ohio Lands" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio_Lands (accessed 11 February 2012).
- ↑ Petta Khouw, among others, County by County in Ohio Genealogy (Columbus, Ohio : Ohio State Library, 1992). Online .pdf version. State Library genealogical bibliography.
- This page was last modified on 10 October 2013, at 20:36.
- This page has been accessed 39,822 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More