Ohio World War I Marine Corp, Navy, and Out of State Service Form Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records scheduled to become available at FamilySearch.org.|
Collection Time Period
Forms were created for those who performed military service from 1914 to 1918.
Ohio created forms for residents who served in the Marine Corps of the Navy during World War I (1914–1918) and for nonresidents who served in an Ohio unit. The forms were based on information from the military agency the person served with.
Why This Record Was Created
These forms were created primarily for historical and statistical purposes. They were also used to adjudicate claims against the state of Ohio.
The information on the military service forms comes from the records of the Marine Corps headquarters and the U.S. Department of the Navy and is reliable.
Each record was on a preprinted form. The records are all extant and have been preserved under good conditions.
Ohio military service forms include the following genealogical information:
- Full name
- Birth date
- Age in years, sometimes in months and days
- Enlistment date and place
- Organizations, grades, military engagements and campaigns, wounds or injuries received in action, overseas service, honorable discharge or exit from service, and killed-in-action furloughs
How to Use the Record
Use these records to learn birth date and place as well as residence. With this information you could search for other records about the individual’s parents and other family members. The forms also list service, medical, and sometimes death information, which could lead you to death, burial, and military service records.
Related Web Sites
| This section is incomplete.
You can help by adding content.
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. Guidelines are available to help you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide. If you would like to get more involved join the WikiProject FamilySearch Records.|
Sources of This Collection
Ohio World War I Marine Corp, Navy, and Out of State Service Forms, database, FamilySearch (http://familysearch.org/); from Ohio Adjutant General's Office. FHL microfilm, 91 rolls, Family History Library Salt Lake City, Utah
Examples of Source Citations for a Record in This Collection
- United States. Bureau of the Census. 12th census, 1900, digital images, From FamilySearch Internet (www.familysearch.org: September 29, 2006), Arizona Territory, Maricopa, Township 1, East Gila, Salt River Base and Meridian; sheet 9B, line 71
- Mexico, Distrito Federal, Catholic Church Records, 1886-1933, digital images, from FamilySearch Internet (www.familysearch.org: April 22, 2010), Baptism of Adolfo Fernandez Jimenez, 1 Feb. 1910, San Pedro Apóstol, Cuahimalpa, Distrito Federal, Mexico, film number 0227023
- This page was last modified on 11 December 2014, at 19:37.
- This page has been accessed 1,281 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More