Oklahoma PeriodicalsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Most family history periodicals publish transcriptions of local sources used in genealogical research. Information published in periodicals may include family histories, genealogies, historical background, maps, information about local records and archives, queries, census indexes, transcripts of family Bibles, church records, court records, cemetery records, land records, military records, obituaries, and wills. Often published by genealogical or historical societies, they typically focus on the records of a particular county, while a few may specialize in records of a particular ethnic group or religion.
The major genealogical periodicals and magazines helpful for Oklahoma research are:
- The Chronicles of Oklahoma. 1921—. Published by the Oklahoma Historical Society, 2100 North Lincoln Blvd., Oklahoma City, OK 73105. (Family History Library book 976.6 B2c.) There is a book which indexes vols. 1-37 (1921-1959), and a book that indexes vols. 38-57 (1960-1979). (Family History Library book 976.6 B2cIndex.)
A valuable topical guide is:
- Welsh, Carol. An Annotated Guide to The Chronicles of Oklahoma, 1921-1994. Oklahoma City, Oklahoma: Oklahoma Historical Society, 1996. (Family History Library book 976.6 A33w.)
- Four States Genealogist. 1969-1973. Published by the Indian Nations Press, 812 Mayo Building, Tulsa, Oklahoma 74103. (Family History Library book 973 B2fs.) This pertains to the states of Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri, and Oklahoma.
- Key Finder. 1980-. Published by the Northwest Oklahoma Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 834, Woodward, OK 73802. (Family History Library book 976.6 D25k.)
- Oklahoma Genealogical Society Quarterly (formerly: The Bulletin). 1961-. Published by the Oklahoma Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 12986, Oklahoma City, OK 73157-2986. (Family History Library book 976.6 B2q.)
- The Texarkana U.S.A. Quarterly. 1974-. Published by the Texarkana U.S.A. Genealogical Society, Inc., P.O. Box 2323, Texarkana, Arkansas-TX 75504-2323. (Family History Library book 976 D25t.)
- The Tree Tracers. 1976-. Published by the Southwest Oklahoma Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 148, Lawton, Oklahoma 73502-0148. (Family History Library book 976.6 B2tr.)
- Tulsa Annals. 1966-. Published by the Tulsa Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 585, Tulsa, Oklahoma 74101-0585. (Family History Library book 976.6 B2t.)
Some of the periodicals listed above have annual surname indexes in the final issue for the year. For nationwide indexes to some of these and other family history periodicals, see United States Periodicals. Also see the following:
- Finnell, Arthur Louis. Minnesota Genealogical Periodical Index. A County Guide: Index to Periodicals through 1985. 1980. Reprint. St. Paul, Minnesota: Minnesota Genealogical Society, 1987. (Family History Library book 977.6 B22f 1985). An index of county records published in six Minnesota periodicals through 1985.
*Periodical Source Index (PERSI). 31+ Volumes. Ft. Wayne, Indiana: Allen County Public Library Foundation, 1986-. (Family History Library book 973 D25per 1847–1985; fiche 6016863 [set of 40] (1847–1985); book 973 D25per (1986–1997); fiche 6016864 [set of 15] (1986–1990).) This indexes over 1.1 million articles in over 5,000 English-language and French Canadian family history periodicals. For further instructions, see the Periodical Source Index Resource Guide (34119). For easier-to-use and more complete electronic editions of the index, see:
*Periodical Source Index CD-ROM. Orem, Utah: Ancestry™, and the Allen County Public Library Foundation, 1997. (Family History Library compact disc no.61.) This disc does not circulate to Family History Centers. It merges all 31+ volumes into one index.
*Periodical Source Index Search. In Ancestry.com [Internet site]. [Orem, Utah]: Ancestry, 1999. Available at: www.ancestry.com/ancestry/search/3165.htm. This online database is available only to Ancestry.com members for a subscription fee.
Once you locate an article in a periodical, check the FamilySearch Catalog and regional or local libraries for available copies.
Periodicals can be found on state, county and local levels. The Family History Library has many collected periodicals. These can be found by using a Place-name Search or a Title Search of the FamilySearch Catalog. Some periodicals may be found with a Keyword Search for the publishing society name. Societies may be also be found on state, county or local levels.
Additional resources for Oklahoma periodicals may be found in the Oklahoma-Periodical topic page of the FamilySearch Catalog. Copies of records on FHL microfilm and microfiche can be ordered for viewing at Family History Centers. Also find Oklahoma Periodical resources available at other libraries (WorldCat). As with the FamilySearch Catalog search, search WorldCat using society names, locality names, and periodical title names. Learn more about how to search WorldCat and the FamilySearch Catalog.
- This page was last modified on 30 January 2015, at 05:03.
- This page has been accessed 2,150 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More