Oneida (Wisconsin) Indian SchoolEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Oneida Indian Boarding School in Wisconsin was built in 1893. Prior to that time, schools to educate Indian children were maintained and administered by the Episcopal Church in the form of a day school The boarding school was relatively small and closed in 1907. In 1899, it had 131 students and 5 staff.
Transferred to Keshena, 1 July 1919, and to Tomah, 1 May 1934.
Fiscal records of the Oneida School, 1897-1907 are deposited at the Great Lakes Regional Archives of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) at Chicago. No student case files are included in the inventory of the records there.
In addition to the Boarding School, there were at least three day schools associated with it, with 69 students in all and 1 teacher at each day school.
Microfilm copies of ...Narrative and Statistical Reports... for the Oneida School, 1907-1919, are included in National Archives Microcopy M1011, Roll 95, available in the National Archives system and in the collections of the Family History Library in Salt Lake City (their microfilm number 1724313).
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online
- "Accompanying Pamphlet for Microcopy 1011", National Archives Microfilm Publications, Appendix.
Guide to Federal Records in the National Archives of the United States
Wisconsin Historical Society. Dictionary of Wisconsin History.
- This page was last modified on 7 January 2011, at 07:28.
- This page has been accessed 1,700 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki