Ontario NewspapersEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Resources for Ontario Newspapers
Libraries and Archives
AO has a large collection of pre-1930 newspapers. In the 1960s, Ontario universities had a cooperative programme to microfilm local newspapers, and these microfilms can be found in many university libraries. The largest collection of post-1930 Ontario newspapers in one place (aside from LAC) can be found at the:
The Family History Library has no newspapers from Ontario; however, it has acquired a number of published indexes of newspaper obituaries and marriage announcements.
An excellent guide to Ontario newspapers is:
Gilchrist, J. Brian. Inventory of Ontario Newspapers, 1793-1986, First Edition, 1987. Toronto, Ontario: Micromedia Ltd., 1988. (Family History Library book 971.3 B33i.) This is a survey of 345 libraries across Canada and the British Newspaper Library in London, England. It lists their holdings of 2,900 Ontario newspapers (original and microfilm copies).
Available indexes are listed in:
Burrows, Sandra and Francine Gaudet. Checklist of Indexes to Canadian Newspapers = Liste de contrôle des index de journaux canadiens. Ottawa, Ontario: National Library of Canada, 1987. (Family History Library book 971 B32b; not on microfilm.)
Digital Issues Online
This database is accessible with a Toronto Public Library Card or through ProQuest. Check with your local public or university library.
- Toronto Star - Pages of the Past (since 1894)
A subscription is required for access. The database is also accessible through the Toronto Public Library website with a library card.
- Provincial Freeman (1854-1857)
- Index to Names in the Christian Guardian Newspaper (1830s-1925)
Ontario Published Indexes
Many Ontario Genealogical Society branches have published volumes of newspaper extracts or indexes, too numerous to list. Look at the OGS website for connections the branch sites, where publications are listed.
The largest publisher of extracts, mostly 19th century newspapers but from across the province, is Bur-Mor, 359 West Gore, Stratford, Ontario N5A 1K9 (send large SASE for catalogue). These are high-quality full transcriptions.
- William D. Reid. Marriage notices of Ontario (1980, later edition still available from Genealogical Publishing, 2000) and Death notices of Ontario (1980, later edition Genealogical Publishing, 1997). Both contain extracts from pre-1850 newspapers.
- Mary Kearns Trace. Births, marriages and deaths, “The Globe,” Toronto, Ontario. Calgary: TRACES, 1986. Only the volume for 1844-1847 was published.
- McKenzie, Donald A. Death Notices from The Christian Guardian, 1836-1870. Three Volumes. Lambertville, New Jersey, USA: Hunterdon House, 1982-1988. (Family History Library Book 971.3 V4m.)
Many newspaper abstracts of birth, marriage, and death announcements have been indexed and published in volumes of The Ontario Register see Ontario Periodicals.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Taylor, Ryan, "Canada Newspaper Indexes and Abstracts (National Institute)," The National Institute for Genealogical Studies (2012), https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Canada_Newspaper_Indexes_and_Abstracts_%28National_Institute%29.
- ↑ Taylor, Ryan, "Obtaining Canada Newspaper Resources (National Institute)," The National Institute for Genealogical Studies (2012), https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Obtaining_Canada_Newspaper_Resources_%28National_Institute%29.
- This page was last modified on 7 August 2014, at 20:10.
- This page has been accessed 5,349 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page