Orange County, IndianaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Orange County Indiana genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Orange County, Indiana|
Location of Indiana in the U.S.
|Founded||December 26, 1815|
|Address|| Orange County Courthouse|
Paoli, IN 47454
- Orange CountyBible records
- Cemeteries for Orange County - Linkpendium
- Look under Cemeteries for Orange County - USGenWeb
For tips on accessing Orange County, Indiana census records online, see: Indiana Census.
- Index to Defective, Dependent & Delinquent Census for Orange County, Indiana (1880) (members only database, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Directory of Businesses in Orange County, Indiana (1868) (members only database, Indiana Genealogical Society)
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic and Religious Groups
- History of Washington County Indiana: A Re-Production of the Original "History of Lawrence, Orange and Washington Counties" 1884. (Salem, Ind: Washington County Historical Society, 1999.) 977.226 H2Lc FHL FHL Collectionother libraries INTERNET ARCHIVE
- History of Orange County - Linkpendium
- Historical Articles of Orange County - INGenWeb
Land and Property
- Family Maps of Orange County, Indiana (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- Maps and Gazetteers - Linkpendium
War of 1812
- Residents of Orange County Who Served in the Mexican War (1846-1848) ($, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Look under Military Information - USGenWeb
Civil War service men from Orange County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Orange County.
- 13th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry, Companies E, and F
- 24th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies B, and G
- 38th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies A, and I
- 47th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company F
- 49th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company G
- 59th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company F
- 66th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies D, and E
- 86th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company C
- 93rd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies A, D, G, and H
- 112th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies E, and H
- 137th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (100 days, 1864), Company K
- 140th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company A
- 144th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company F
- 145th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company B
- 28th US Colored Troops, Companies D, E, F, G, and Addition Recruits for Colored Troops
Civil War Books
- "Military History Of Orange County" Chapter 7 in History of Washington County Indiana: A Re-Production of the Original "History of Lawrence, Orange and Washington Counties" 1884. (Salem, Ind: Washington County Historical Society, 1999.), (page 508-529, Regiment, Companies),977.226 H2Lc FHL FHL Collectionother libraries INTERNET ARCHIVE
World War I
World War II
Naturalization and Citizenship
Orange County Courthouse
Paoli, IN 47454
County Health Department has birth records
from 1882, death and burial records.
County Clerk has marriage, divorce,
probate and court records from from 1816.
County Recorder has land records from 1816.
Family History Centers
- Directory of Teachers for Orange County (1936) ($, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Look under Vital Records for Orange County - USGenWeb
- Indiana State Digital Archives for Death, E-Publication, Institution, Military, Misc Historical, Naturalization Records can be searched by person name (accessed 26 May 2011)
- Indiana Marriages, 1802-1892 - Ancestry.con $
- Indiana Marriages, 1780-1992-FamilySearch
- Indiana Marriage, 1811-1959-FamilySearch
- Indiana, Death Index, 1882-1920-FamilySearch
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Orange County, Indiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Orange County, Indiana 215 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
|This Indiana-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 19 April 2013, at 22:54.
- This page has been accessed 2,275 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More