Orchard Park New York Family History CenterEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
This Family History Center is the place to come for research or assistance in finding your missing family tree members! We offer free advice to help you navigate the sea of genealogical information that is coursing the internet, a free program to record your history on Family Tree, and a place to come to try out a selection of subscription websites at no charge. And, of course, there are many more free websites we can direct you to, training to be offered, and shortcuts to be shared. You may also order out of the Library Catalog on www.FamilySearch.org at home and have the microfilms sent to this location for your viewing convenience. You can connect to our Wifi, so please bring your laptops and thumb drives.
Center Contacts and Hours
- 4005 Baker Rd Orchard Park NY 14127-2032 United States
- We are located almost across the street from the Orchard Park High School parking lot.
- It is best to park in the larger (southern) of the two parking lots.
- The larger lot is "L" shaped and leads to a sidewalk at the back of the building where the entrance to the Family History Center can be found.
- There is one small step up to double glass doors.
- Restrooms are available.
- Handicapped accessible
- Please feel free to call for special arrangements if you think they might be needed.
- Tuesday:9:00am-4:00pm (Closed 11/18/2014 due to inclement weather)
'Closed when power is out, or Orchard Park Schools are closed due to weather. 'Call first if weather is questionable. 'Closed November 26th-27th,'December 23rd-25th,'December 30th-January 1st 2015.
2015 closed dates: November 24, 25, 26, and December 22 through January 4, 2016.
Calendar and Events
By request. Please contact Director.
Staff Training Meetings
- FamilySearch Catalog: This center has the ability to receive any of the films and fiche available and ordered through the FamilySearch Catalog.
- On "Indefinite Loan" are 2 microfilm drawers of Erie County churches/cemeteries; 2 drawers of microfilms for 10 other Western and Central New York counties; Native American microfilms; plus 1,200 more microfilms -- see what film numbers we already have before you order!
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the Center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions. Hardware and Equipment
- 8 internet connected research computers; 1 photocopier/printer; 1 microfilm reader with photocopying capability; and 5 microfilm readers, one of which has a special magnifying lens for 16 mm microfilm.
Staff Research Specialties
Resources in the Local Area
(This section is to highlight other resources in your area that will be helpful for individuals doing research there in your location, if there are any, such as government offices, historical societies, etc.)
(Include links to other websites of interest to those who visit your center such as links to the city, county and state wiki pages where your center is located.)
Volunteer at the Center
Be a regular at the Center and you will get noticed! A lot of genealogy is absorbed through osmosis and you will be an expert in no time! We are always looking for new volunteers to work with our Consultants to help those around us fill in their family trees!
- This page was last modified on 16 December 2014, at 23:09.
- This page has been accessed 1,438 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page