Ormesby St Michael, Norfolk GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Ormesby St Michael, Norfolk|
|Poor Law Union||East and West Flegg|
|Parish registers: 1568|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1600|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
ORMSBY (St. Michael), a parish, in the East and West Flegg incorporation, hundred of East Flegg, E. division of Norfolk, 6 miles (N. N. W.) from Yarmouth. 
Ormesby St Michael is an Ancient Parish in the Diocese of Norwich. It is sometimes referred to as Little Ormesby.
The church is one of the three Ormesby churches and the larger church and ecclesiastical parish of Ormesby St Margaret with Scratby, Norfolk grew from this ancient parish and that of now lost round towered church of Ormesby St Peter.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Flegg 1837-1924
- Yarmouth and Flegg 1925-1938
- Acle 1938-1974
- Norwich Outer
Ormesby St Michael, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Ormesby St Michael, Norfolk Genealogy Online Records|
|FMP||1568-1773, 1786-1919||1568-1773, 1786-1948||1568-1773, 1786-1812|
|FS PRs||Undefined||1568-1773, 1786-1919||Undefined||1568-1773, 1786-1902||Undefined||1568-1773, 1787-1812|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438869.
Genealogy From Periodicals
Page, BA. Raymond A. The Page Family In Norfolk - The Page's of Walcot, Acle Ormesby. History and family tree of Henry Page of Walcot Acle with the following surnames, Hexam, Watts, Goodwin, Warde, Bullocke, Short, Jacks, Bennet, Brown, Page, Goose, Worts, Greenacre and Appleton, with reference to South Walsham, St. Mary 1629, Acle, Walcot, Ormesby and Saxthorpe. Article has dates from 1422-1707, and is found in The Norfolk Ancestor, old series, vol. 2,pt.11 page 151-153, Family History Library Ref. 942.61 B2j vol. 2,pt11.
Taylor, Richard. Spelling Out the Answer. Family tree showing The Taylor Family's double line to the Oldroyds in Langton by Partney, Lincs. starting with Benjamin Oldrid and (1) Elizabeth Lee married 10 August 1730, and (2) Eleanor Riggall married 2 May 1737. Descendants moved out to Tydd - St. Giles, Burwell, West Walton and Walpole. Surnames in the tree, Riggall, Young, Waters, Taylor, Green, Sherriff, article dated 1730-1937, and is found in The Norfolk Ancestor, Old Series, vol. 5,pt1, pages 7-8, Family History Library Ref. 942.61 B2j vol.5, pt.1
Dr. Gott, Ian. At Sea - A Story of Two Hemsby Families. Gotts and Bessey 1850-1900. Family tree shows Stephen Bessey b 1785 marrying Elizabeth Daniel 1807 and descendants, and William Gotts marrying Charlotte Stimpson 12 October 1814 and their descendants spreading out to Caister, Upton, Manchester, Ormesby, Holton - Suffolk. Yarmouth, Rollesby Union. Surnames mentioned George, Stephen, Stimpson, Hunt, Smith and Long. Article is dated 1781-1961, and is found in The Norfolk Ancestor, old series, vol.5.pt3, pages 52-54. Family History Library Ref. 942.61 B2j old series vol.5, pt.3.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Norfolk: Ormesby St Michael on GenUKI
- Ormesby St Michael on A Church Near You
- Lost Church of Ormesbyon Norfolk Churches
- Ormsby St Michael on Norfolk Churches
- Ormesby St Michael Postmill on Norfolk Mills. Contains history.
- Ormesby St Michael on Norfolk Stained Glass
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 479-483. Date accessed: 06 May 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Parish Registers Browse', findmypast, accessed 31 July 2015.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 27 February 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 11 February 2014.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Births Indexes: Guide to Parishes, n.d.; digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Baptism Project 1813 to 1880,' Tinstaafl Transcripts, accessed 10 April 2014.
- This page was last modified on 31 July 2015, at 21:49.
- This page has been accessed 2,508 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News