Ormesby St Michael, NorfolkEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Ormesby St Michael, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Ormesby St Michael, Norfolk|
|Poor Law Union||East and West Flegg PLU|
|Parish registers: 1568|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1600|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
ORMSBY (St. Michael), a parish, in the East and West Flegg incorporation, hundred of East Flegg, E. division of Norfolk, 6 miles (N. N. W.) from Yarmouth. 
Ormesby St Michael is an Ancient Parish in the Diocese of Norwich. It is sometimes referred to as Little Ormesby.
The church is one of the three Ormesby churches and the larger church and ecclesiastical parish of Ormesby St Margaret with Scratby, Norfolk grew from this ancient parish and that of now lost round towered church of Ormesby St Peter.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Flegg 1837-1924
- Yarmouth and Flegg 1925-1938
- Acle 1938-1974
- Norwich Outer
Ormesby St Michael, Norfolk parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Ormesby St Michael, Norfolk Online Records|
|FS PRs||Undefined||1568-1773, 1786-1919||Undefined||1568-1773, 1786-1902||Undefined||1568-1773, 1787-1812|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438869.
Poor Law Unions
For more information on the history of the workhouse, see Peter Higginbotham's web site: www.workhouses.org.uk and http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?Flegg/Flegg.shtml
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Norfolk: Ormesby St Michael on GenUKI
- Ormesby St Michael on A Church Near You
- Lost Church of Ormesbyon Norfolk Churches
- Ormsby St Michael on Norfolk Churches
- Ormesby St Michael Postmill on Norfolk Mills. Contains history.
- Ormesby St Michael on Norfolk Stained Glass
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 479-483. Date accessed: 06 May 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 27 February 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 11 February 2014.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Births Indexes: Guide to Parishes, n.d.; digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Baptism Project 1813 to 1880,' Tinstaafl Transcripts, accessed 10 April 2014.
- This page was last modified on 15 November 2014, at 21:46.
- This page has been accessed 981 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page